New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
I finally got my face gauge...and i have the how to on putting it in.....but i am wondering something about calibration....(trying not to sound stupid)...if the car is off right and everything is at the zero mark....why do i have to recalibrate...why cant i just put the needles back to where they were...(like the position they are in when the car is off)?
thanks
caro

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
MPH/KMH

Take off the needle and the rubber stopper... put the needle back on sorta closest to hanging straight down... move the needle to the left and put the stopper in... put the car in diagnostic mode - select the MPH or KMH option and start it up... watch the needle to see if it hits 150MPH (or whatever is the end of the KMH gauges) and comes back.. if it overshoots it or stops too soon remove the stopper and the needle and adjust til its correct... then drive slowly and carefully... stop if needed to remove the stopper and the needle again... once you get it close its really easy to adjust just a hair or so til its perfect...

FYI -- the stock gauges are about 3mph off --- so even if you don't have aftermarket gauges its a good thing to calibrate your own gauges so its dead on...

TACH

Put the car in diagnostic mode and select the digital tach mode.. rev the car in park and put the needle in at whatever mark it is reading - rev it several times and adjust til it is correct...

FUEL

Make sure your tank is at 100% full prior to recalibrating..
Make sure the key is turned to the accessory position when you put the needle back on to full.. As long as the tank is full and with these two steps, all should be fine...

TEMP

Keep track of where your normal temp is on a normal start up and where it is when it has been running for awhile.. normally what works the best is to keep that gauge for last and let it idle for about 10-15 minutes and adjust it to read about 1/2 or bit less twards the cold icon..

Lastly take the car for a run in diagnostic mode and compare everything.. don't put the dash back together until you are 100% satisfied..

Also, make sure you don't push the needles on so far as to make it rub on the gauge face.. and to remove them the first time just pull.. they will be hard to do the very first time.. you might want to take a small flathead and wrap it in a shop towel and gently pry underneath..

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
you didn't specify which gauges you are installing. because if you are installing the indiglo gauges there is no calibration needed, you just turn the needles to point straight up and slip the gauge face over them. easy as pie;)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Originally posted by: Crispy
TACH

Put the car in diagnostic mode and select the digital tach mode.. rev the car in park and put the needle in at whatever mark it is reading - rev it several times and adjust til it is correct...
TEMP

Keep track of where your normal temp is on a normal start up and where it is when it has been running for awhile.. normally what works the best is to keep that gauge for last and let it idle for about 10-15 minutes and adjust it to read about 1/2 or bit less twards the cold icon..

Lastly take the car for a run in diagnostic mode and compare everything.. don't put the dash back together until you are 100% satisfied..
the temp gauge can be calibrated by running the car for a bit and in diagnostic mode, you can see the water temp and i believe 190 or 195 degrees is dead center of the temp gauge.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok,
thanks crispy...i got the ones from blackcat that are white and just light the numbers up blue...KMH. I dont think i can just slip them on.....the holes dont look big enough to fit over the needles and the pins. I am planning on going at it tomorrow morning. I dont feel like wasting the money at the shop when everyone seems to make it out simple enough....so we'll see how it turns out. thanks again
Caro

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Black Cat gauges must be recalibrated... no way around em.. the only ones that don't have to are the indiglos.. the center holes are huge and can be slipped over the needles

BTW -- if you need to know how to put your car in diagnostic mode click the FAQ button on the top of every page.. it is located there.. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey Crispy....
Thanks you saved me again...i was thinking...great i shoulda asked what diagnostic mode is exactly...i'll look it up right now...cuz i'm bout to get started....i dont have class till 7 so i think 6 hours should be enough...:)
i'll get back...
thanks again...caro

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Good Luck...

The normal calibration time is about 2 hours from gauge install to the end... I've seen it done in about 15 minutes, but the normal peep with lots of experience is about 30 minutes..

any questions or probs at all feel free to ask...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok...
I have everything unscrewed and almost out...........in the team neco how to it says to study the cables cuz it has a lever type latch........i have tried for 15 minutes to pull the plugs out of the gauge but i cant get them out....
is there a certain way to pull them out..............please...
Caro

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Originally posted by: supa
Ok...
I have everything unscrewed and almost out...........in the team neco how to it says to study the cables cuz it has a lever type latch........i have tried for 15 minutes to pull the plugs out of the gauge but i cant get them out....
is there a certain way to pull them out..............please...
Caro
no, there is a latch. when you lift the latch, it'll unlock the harness and come out. i wish i had pics to point out.

EDIT: see pic. i only have mspaint at work so i apoligize for the crudity of the pic.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
there is a small little area that you need to push in... like right under the top little lever on the harness... you will see where to depress with a small screwdriver if you look at the top.. as soon as it is depressed you will see the little arm move down... then just move it all the way down on black and the white endcap and pull it outta the socket...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.