New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im browsing ebay motors and come across this, Ebay link

Someone care to explain what this is supposed to do? I can hardly imagine it will gain "20 HP"..

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Ah, the ol' IAT mod... Suggested reading:

Linky 1

Linky 2

Rule of thumb- If it sounds too good to be true, it's rice. :cover: I would like to see how many folks have fouled the hell out of their engines with this POS.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Positive feedback can be explained, because 99% of the buyers are novices. They install it, and "imagine" their car is faster. It's just like when someone takes a stock car and puts on an intake...they automatically "think" the car is faster, because they can "feel" it. When we all know that an intake alone will not make your car faster...let alone so much faster that you can actually feel it. But people still insist that they are faster.

I would imagine that is the case with most of these buyers, they buy it, slap it on, then feel the extra power.

With that said, the IAT mod WILL WORK...and on some vehicles, it can even increase the HP a pretty good amount on SOME vehicles.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Usually i say bah, no good, bs, dont do it, not worth anything, blah blah blah... but that doesnt really help.

Listen to the warnings, but its okay to try it and have your own personal opinion.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
nah not me. im just sayin that with the IAT mod in particular, theres negative feedback from more people than there are a count of actual installs. I've heard 3 things about the IAT mod, the 3rd from another member of MassConn who is still a fan of it

1) it was the most significant mod that person had ever done
2) It was the most worthless mod that person had ever done
3) that anyone who said it was worthless didnt wire it up right.

so i say, "whatever". Im not against it, im actually curious myself, but i'll go to radioshack and spend $.39 and make one rather than spend $8 + shipping and wait for one to arrive. its worth the $.39 to be able to say BS as a personal opinion, and if i dont get to say BS, then cool

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
The IAT mod can be done yourself for about 50 cents...

Spending $20 on E-Bay is pure ignorance. NO QUESTION!!! Doing it at all could be considered the same...

This mod only gives you a "slight" perk in spark advance when the ambient temperature is above ~70 degrees. (I.E. about 3-5 degrees or nothing really notable in back to back testing - within a dyno's error range!)

If the temperature is above 90 degrees expect to get light detonation and have the knock sensor kick in and remove more advance then this mod gives you. If the temp is above 100 you may be in serious trouble!!!
Repetitive knock sensor engagement will permanently reduce the spark curve (I.E the PCM LEARNS!!! It's ADAPTIVE!!!) You can reset the PCM the erase this, but then it has to RELEARN the optimum settings yet AGAIN. This will quickly become a vicious circle.

This is really a joke of a mod.

Not only that but it will require you to run premium fuel for no real gains. That just costs you more money for no return on your fuel investment.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Ok, what KILLS me about This e-bay ad the seller is....importracingtrd

YET....IN HIS OWN AD....it states (this is half way down...)

"Warning !!!!! Do not buy from the sellers listed below this product will ruin your car.....

Toyotatuning2003
ImportracingTRD

These sellers have comitied piracy and should not be trusted.

YOU May only purchase this product for any other sellers but these."

Bad grammer/spelling AND trashes his own name. (and I noticed the caps change)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts