New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm selling my borla and I'm gonna go with larger piping. So far my only option is to go with trubends stainless steel 2.5" with a Borla muffler and tips that look as close to my current borla tips as possible. It sounds like everyone's exhaust is too loud though is there anything I should look at to quiet it down a bit? I remeber hearing something about the Borla mufflers only coming in one size inside even though the inlet and oulet were size to your application. Is that the Borla muffler on this system? Is it 2.5" all the way through?

~Chris

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
A custom job if you want 2.5" or larger. But oh, how I warn you.

3" cat on the stock flange, 3" Borla ProXS (2.5" internal, can't get the ProXS in any other flavor) back to 2.5" piping, out to two 2.5" Magnaflow resonators before the tips is still TOO G*DDAMN LOUD! Anything above 2,000RPMs is disgustingly loud (as in making you nauseous loud) except a short space between 3,000 and 3,250RPMs. I don't know what the hell I can do about this, but I need it quieter. As in I would gladly buy your Borla and take my custom system and about 4lbs of C4.... Well... You get the point.

Anyone have ideas? Don't mean to hijack the thread...

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Originally posted by: DanG
A custom job if you want 2.5" or larger. But oh, how I warn you.

3" cat on the stock flange, 3" Borla ProXS (2.5" internal, can't get the ProXS in any other flavor) back to 2.5" piping, out to two 2.5" Magnaflow resonators before the tips is still TOO G*DDAMN LOUD! Anything above 2,000RPMs is disgustingly loud (as in making you nauseous loud) except a short space between 3,000 and 3,250RPMs. I don't know what the hell I can do about this, but I need it quieter. As in I would gladly buy your Borla and take my custom system and about 4lbs of C4.... Well... You get the point.

Anyone have ideas? Don't mean to hijack the thread...
:banghead:
I'm in the same boat with my MagnaFlow setup.
Come spring I was going to try 2 more straight through MagnaFlows at the tail Pipes......

It's just too damn loud for a daily driver.......
:shrug:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
You're all wusses... try driving a V8 with an off-road X-pipe and Dynomax Ultra Flo's dumped before the rear axle :slap:

I would suggest running true duals with smaller pipes.

I never had a 2.5-inch exhaust on the Cougar that didn't drone obnoxiously, and believe me, I tried just about everything. And, for some reason, having a cat just made things worse than not having one... adding resonators in the rear only made it slightly more tame as well. I never tried eliminating the center muffler, but I doubt that would help.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
2" I.D. true duals straight back

I have 2 long Dynomax bullet resonators and 2 small magnaflow mufflers and my car is not too loud.

WOT produces an awesome exotic touring car roar of the intake and exhaust mixed.

Now without any cats and having headers it does produce a small amount of rasp even through the exhaust but it does not sound harsh when warm.

Also the rasp I am getting is not from un-quelled resonance. It is from tremendous exhaust velocity from the straight pipes and ultra free flowing exhaust setup.

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DemonSVT your setup sounds cool I'm just not sure if I want to pay for a custom setup. I want stainless steel no matter what because Minnesota will eat through it right away even though I don't drive it much in the winter if ever. How much did your setup run you? Right now I like the Brullen exhaust with a 2.5 inch center piping that splits to two 2.25 inch piping at the back. I would of course go with the quiet mufflers. Has anyone heard the feedback from this system? Think its too small or just right?

·
Registered
568 Posts
loud???...... I got flowmaster.
how loud is magnaflow compared to flowmaster? I might be down for a change also.

·
Administrator
11,731 Posts
I take you you have headers & a y-pipe as well? I think the y-pipe is where you getting all the noise from. I have a Yodude/Trubendz Y-pipe w/removable CAT and a SS Borla setup. With my car at least, I notice there isn't any support around the CAT area so it sags. I think this is causing a slight leak that can only be fixed by either welding the system together or adding a support where the CAT meets the rest of the exhaust.

Until I am happy with a setup enough that I would weld it into one piece I plan on laying some DynaMat in the cabin & trunk. I like how the setup sounds right now. But yea, it gets loud at certain RPM's in the interior.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I built my setup for under $300.

Actually less considering I sold some old exhaust parts at the same time. Heck I still even have a nice Quasi-dual setup in the corner of the garage. From the manifolds on back (MSDS Y-pipe with 3" cat) :biggrin:

Here's an old picture. I recently added a balance pipe between the flex joints and the resonators (primary and secondary pulse points respectively). Don't know if I gained any appreciable power from it (midrange definitely "feels" better though) but it made the sound light years better.

Click Here to link to my exhaust page and more pictures

·
Registered
568 Posts
Originally posted by: DemonSVT
I built my setup for under $300.

Actually less considering I sold some old exhaust parts at the same time. Heck I still even have a nice Quasi-dual setup in the corner of the garage. From the manifolds on back (MSDS Y-pipe with 3" cat) :biggrin:

Here's an old picture. I recently added a balance pipe between the flex joints and the resonators (primary and secondary pulse points respectively). Don't know if I gained any appreciable power from it (midrange definitely "feels" better though) but it made the sound light years better.

Click Here to link to my exhaust page and more pictures

Would you like to build me one?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.