New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to Meineke and got a quote on a cat-back exhaust. The said $265 for cat-back exhaust, no resonanter and a Flowmaster 40 series muffler. I only had $165 so what I did was get the resonator removed and a pipe put in its place, then a Flomaster 40 series to replace the old muffler. I like the sound of, but everyone says the flowmaster is supposed to be loud.....it isn't. Once I get past 3k rpms all I can hear is engine, exhaust is silent. If I up the piping to 2.25" next week (The $100 drop in price I sacrificed) will it get louder? Or should I buy a flowmaster 60 series and put it on???

And yes, I know that right now I didn't really gain any performance, which is why I'm hoping when I get the chance to go up to 2.25" piping it will make a sound difference as well as net a few HP.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what I'm talking about, bs comments.

I am doing it right, but not all at one time. I am going to get the 2.25" piping from the cat back, but not until next week. I am asking if it will make it louder, that is my question.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey man. Theres nothing wrong with a shop made exhaust, I have the exactly the same setup on my car. The stock piping size is 2.25 so you'll be ok. Did your muffler come fresh out of the box? If it did it's gonna be really quiet at first. After riding around for a little it'll get louder. Trust me on this one. I got my flow brand-new factory sealed and I could barely hear it at first. However, my exhaust note gets louder and more aggressive everytime I make my 6 hour round trip from my school to my house. It's starting to taper off now though. You did gain some performance man. Theres no way you didn't when you took away two exhaust restrictions and added a better flowing muffler. It might not be the neck jolting performance of a 100HP nitrous shot but its there. Your butt dyno might not be able to feel it. I noticed increased throttle response, and if I granny around I can get amazing gas milage. I recently made a ~200 mile trip on 1/4 tank. The loudness my friend will come in due time.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stock piping is 2.25" wow............aren't the trubendz kits 2.25"? I asked for a 2.5" price but meineke can't do mandrel bending of 2.5" pipe.

[edit] roughly how many miles are we talking here? for break in?

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Originally posted by: CougarGT
Save enough money to do it right in the first place.
I agree, just save your money and do it all at once. It's pointless otherwise. The stock piping is 2 1/4 so it's pointless to replace it. The best way to go, honestly, i buy one off of trubendz. They're guaranteed hp and they flow better meaning the car will sound meaner, which is what you want. Remember, all good things take time, just be patient and wait a week or two longer.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'd guess about I've put about 1000 miles on my flowmaster...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the trubendz kit follow the same windy path that the stock exhaust does? Or is it straighter? I thought the kit was 2.5" but the Meineke guy was all "NO I can't bend 2.5'" kind of in a are you crazy way. Well I would be losing money now if I bought the trubendz kit, so I will go see a custom shop and get a quote for upping my pipes to 2.5". But I need that question answered about the trubendz, straighter or follow original path?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did your exhaust make an annoying metal tin can rattling noise? Its pissing me off and it does it for the first 15 minutes until the exhaust gets good and hot.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Lol! Your car is just like mine balla. Mine did that for awhile then it just went away. It still does it a little bit when the car is park and I rev it. I think it has something to do with the "newness" of the muffler.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think your car will explode if you did that.Who knows :shrug: its worth a try.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts