New Cougar Forum banner

301 - 319 of 319 Posts

·
So its begun.....
16,835 Posts
I'm getting like 25-26 mpg's at 70, and about 23-24 at 80 with a 3l and stock exhaust. But with the RPM at 3-3.5k, I'm not surprised. If the gearing for 5th gear was at 2k for 70, I'm sure we'd be getting great gas mileage. Those numbers are with the A/C on, I'm sure they go up at least one in the winter.

I personally think the MTX sucks for gas mileage once you get above 60 MPH.
Sucks for when? I pulled an easy 32mpg avg 80mph going to Indy. Ok wasn't EASY per say, but was done. 70-80 seems to be the sweet spot for me. :shrug:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Not sure if this is the right area to ask but when replacing exhaust hangers, how much did the cougar have?? What are the part numbers if anyone can help or knows

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not sure if this is the right area to ask but when replacing exhaust hangers, how much did the cougar have?? What are the part numbers if anyone can help or knows
Best to create a new post since this is so old..
Plus the question, did you mean to ask how MANY do they use?
I am certain if you Google the part you would receive an answer.
https://www.google.com/search?q=2001+mercury+cougar+exhaust+hanger&newwindow=1&espvd=2&biw=1406&bih=884&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjjsfzc3qnKAhUE1CYKHR1pABQQsxgIHA
That search yielded several different solutions.
Walker Exhaust System Hanger 35460 and Walker Exhaust System Hanger 35473
Remember Google is your friend...
Anyhow sold my 2001 ZN, traded it for a 69 Buick GS California, huge increase in asset value on my end, miss the Cougar though...

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
If you have MSDS headers you won't have cat"s" - plural - you'll just have one single converter under the shifter.

There are little to no options for a bolt-in high-flow replacement. Trubendz used to sell them; they may still do so. Otherwise just get whatever you want and have somebody weld it in.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Best power is Long Tube Headers, there were a few (like less than 10) sets made waaaaaaaaaaay back when. They require a full custom exhaust setup too.

Next best power is probably MSDS or Weapon R followed by OBX then Racebits.

Durability goes to really old Weapon R stainless units, followed by Racebits, then OBX, followed by MSDS ceramic coated units, followed by the galvanized lond tube headers, then finally the newer Weapon R units which always seem crack in a few thousand miles.

·
So its begun.....
16,835 Posts
If that's what you want. Otherwise just find a shop with a comparable hiflo cat(I had magnaflow) and have them weld it into place.

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
There are universal ones out there. I think Mustang cheaters will plug and play. It's just a resistor for the circuit; lots of people make their own if they are good with a soldering iron. There are instructions in the How-To section.

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
Ive had good luck just putting spark plug non foulers on the lower 02's themselves.
I have heard some say that works, and others say it did not for them; it's a crapshoot. But they are so cheap, it's certainly worth a shot. I know the Abarth and ST crowd both use that method, mostly successfully.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have heard some say that works, and others say it did not for them; it's a crapshoot. But they are so cheap, it's certainly worth a shot. I know the Abarth and ST crowd both use that method, mostly successfully.
you have to drill one out and double stack them, i did it back in my srt4 days on several cars and it worked, have also done it on 2 svts and worked as well. Im not sure if the people claiming that it did not work for them if they double stacked them or not.

301 - 319 of 319 Posts