New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Im looking for an exhaust for my 2.5L V6 Cougar.

I am stuck between the exit exhaust for my Cougar:
Single exit
Dual exit

And once I decide that, I need to choose what size piping for it:
2.5 inch
3 inch

And once I do that, which kind of exhaust tips should I go with:
WeaponR
Flowmaster
Magnaflow
Borla

Or should I just get the piping kit and get some ebay mufflers to put on there?

And I know they have the option of either aluminized steel or stainless steel. But all in all, I think the stainless is simply going to be too expensive. What is the real difference as far as performance between the aluminized and stainless steel?

I am probably going to order from PromotionTuning.com
(Exhaust Kits: Pro-Motion Tuning, LLC)
They have a couple different options that I am considering.
I dont know which is best for performance, what is going to have enough backpressure but also have the most flow.

I havent done headers, yet, but for now, Im just going to just to do a cat-back system. Thanks for any help you guys can give. And if this is the wrong place for it, Moderators, please move this to the correct area. I havent been able to find a thread on this by searching. Thanks again.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Dual Exit, 2.5" unless your going with a Turbo or Supercharger, and I choose Flowmaster and really like them just depends on what you like Im sure some sites have sound clips to listen too, I have stainless steel but there isnt a performace difference in either I would imagine just how long they last, and I got my stuff from promotion but that was almost 4 years ago and others here have had a few problems with lately but once again your choice.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I would go dual for the looks and 2.5 because 3 isnt needed for a stock car. and I believe depending on where you buy it from of course but trubendz kits all come with the same tip regaurdless of borla flowmaster etc. unless of course you pay for something different.

Definatelty wouldnt go cheap ebay fart can which is what it sounded like to me like you were thinking of doing.

·
Registered
406 Posts
LOL, so are you deciding what to get or are we??

Promotion doesn't have the GREATEST rep around here, search for some feedback on them before you (we) make a decision.

Dual exit is mainly for looks, as I've read that they will actually loose something like 3 HP over single exit. But I'd go for dual personally, which I have on my own Cougar. It just completes the back end, ya know? PET PEVE: seeing a body kit or what have you with 2 cut-outs for exhaust and only one pipe back there. Just looks F-U-G-L-Y, unless you have a rear mounted turbo. Bitersweet...

As far as piping size: 2.5 is plenty big for a 2.5L N/A. 3" is too big. Plans on charging your engine might affect your decision.

Exhaust tips are yours to handle. Everyone's prolly got their own favourites. The tips that come with the Trubendz kits are polished and angle cut. Looks alright for now, might have to pick up some different ones tho.

And if you've read this far: I'd reccomend to go to Trubendz Exhaust. They do their own Mandrel bend piping and then you select a muffler or your choosing. I went with a center mounted Borla and am about 90% satisfied with it. (Finally broken in now and it sounds pretty mean.) The stainless steel kit runs a little over 500 shipped if I remember right. But worth it!

Do a little more searching, there are literally TONS of threads about this.

Cheers :beer:

·
Registered
529 Posts
i got a magnaflow mufler with dual ractive tips,im guessing 3inch,it sounds like a mix of a g35 and gto.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input. I am going to get an exhaust on my cougar within the month.

I was asking for help because I didnt know which would be the best for the performance of the car. I am probably going to go with the 2.5 inch piping, dual exhaust (i completely agree with the fact that it would complete the back end considering the bumper is open for dual), prob. just the aluminized because I dont have that much money. The mufflers is just going to be a random pick.

Hearing about promotiontuning.com and their rep, I will prob go with trubendz. But I still have the option of a muffler shop around here that is supposed to be pretty good. He just did my friend's 68 Camaro's dual exhaust, and he learned and picked up the business from his dad. I need to see how much he will charge for bending and mounting.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Go with Borla, nothing beats that signature Borla sound. Flowmaster is ungodly loud and isn't a straight through design and Magnaflow is too quite (what's the point of an aftermarket exhaust if no one can hear it?). I get compliments on my exhaust all the time. And aluminized steel is fine, 2 years of Missouri winters (salted roads plus 2 ice storms) and no visible rust what-so-ever. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.
Nathan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts