New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you read, I hated my previous exhaust setup.
Reasons:
1) LOUD
2) Stock Cat - Major restriction
3) 2 Bolt Cat Flange, Lleaking donut gasket
4) Rusted out dynomax muffler

With this in mind I ordered a Car Sound/Magnaflow 3" high flow cat, 3" SS flex pipe, and a new 2.5" Magnaflow muffler.

I then welded the SS Flex pipe and Carsound cat to my current Y-pipe. Since there was an offset in the stock cat, I had to
replicate this offset in my "new" Y-pipe.

This 3" piping had to be reduced to 2.5", so I had a set of 3 bolt flange header reducers, and reduced the 3" cat to 2.5" piping.
This also allows for removal of the exhaust in 2 peices. Its also a smooth transition to the smaller piping.

This piping then went into a 2.5" offset inlet/center outlet muffler. It's currently clamped, but will be welded soon. I ran out of steam yesterday for this.

The car pulls AWESOME now. It has VERY nice pickup below 3000 rpm's, and once the secondaries open up, the car is GONE.
Hopefully it will be dyno'd again this Friday. I haven't had a chance to since my initial tune, and that was 4 chip revisions ago.
The Magnaflow sounds very nice, almost Bassani like- just quieter. I plan to add 2 resonators to each of the tail pipes come spring.

One thing i did notice, is my "Yodude" dynomax muffler was actually a 2.25" muffler stuck in 2.5" piping. MAJOR restriction again.

Now all is good in exhaust land.
Next up:
1) Camber Kit
2) Battery Relocation
3) Final Tuning
4) 18's
5) CF Hood
6) Konis

Then the car will be a dream to drive.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
that one of the eBay carsound cats? I need one for my van... LOL...
good to deal with those people?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by: EricF
that one of the eBay carsound cats? I need one for my van... LOL...
good to deal with those people?
Yep. Great people, fast shipping, AWESOME prices!

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
Cool, ordered one... :) hard to imagine 100k on the factory pancake cat, and also hard to imagine my van has a 3 inch exhaust... :) on a V6... thanks for the info.
Good to hear you like the new sound :)

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Having helped DanG drop in his Hybrid and driven it on the backroads of Pungo (Virginia Beach back woods - VERY windy roads with straights), I am very interested in finding out the results on the dyno. Do you have dyno results of the car before doing this?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
He'll easily clear 205 HP at the wheels, with hopefully almost 200 FWTQ. Nice work Matt!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hopefully will be dynoing the car this Friday.
I have had 4 chip revisions since then, so A/F is a lot better now.
Each revision the car pulls harder and harder, its REALLY fun to drive now.
The GMK intake and the new exhaust has really helped this car breathe properly!!!

The goal is 210 at the wheels all said and done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts