New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the SS Trubendz Borla exhaust for my 99 MTX. I was wondering if i should go to a shop and have them weld it or if it is just alright to climb under the car and bolt it on?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
All of the TruBendz exhaust are bolt on...

I did not have mine welded and for the past 2 years i have had no problems...

Bolt that bad boy and and let your cougar grumble :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sonds good to me

and about how long did it take to put on

i figure it cant be to tough

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Well the day before install get some WD40 and spray all the bolts that connect the cat to the cat back and loosen a little. That will make things easy...

Also... if you went with a dual set-up you might have a hard time because there is only 1 hangar on our cars... on my 01 this was a huge pain in the ass :)

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
he has a '99...they have the additional hanger already welded onto the car. The '01 and '02 don't have it. As for getting the bolts off...it can be done, but it takes some muscle power...4 years of rust doesn't help. It would be better to use air tools and a lift. I recently got my y-pipe, and I was trying to take the old one off...I got three bolts off with a ratchet and the help of some WD40, and a lot of muscle power.

Mike

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Yeah I have no idea what the muffler shop did... i went to bolt mine up and noticed it so i took it to Meinke and said install... the guy came back 2 hours later bitching about have to weld on a mustang hangar...

haha... :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Eh i put mine on in 2 hours. and i did not need wd40 to take th eold one off... Though My muffler would not stay in place i had to go get it welded. and they F-ed it up! Now they are fixing it tomorrow lol.

·
Registered
408 Posts
On the 2001 and 2002, there is a hole in the right rear frame in the exact location as the hanger rod on the left rear side. The factory just did not bother to weld the hanger bar on the the right rear as the did on the left. Compare both sides and you'll easily identify the access hole on the right.

Instead of welding, just run a long bolt or threaded rod of the same diameter as the factory hanger rod (I think 3/8" diameter) through the hole in the frame and fasten it with a lock washer(s) and nut(s). Heavy duty tri-alloy or hardened fasteners would not be a bad idea.

Use a bolt/threaded rod that, after bolted on, will yield the same length as the factory hanger bar on the left rear (again, just compare and measure your template which is the left rear hanger).

When installing the exhaust, just slip the rubber insulator hanger (dealership item for around $5) between the right rear tailpipe hanger rod and the bolt/new hanger rod you installed. It's inexpensive and quick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts