New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, we need something down on paper about this, guys. I've searched and searched and searched... and most posts on Exhausts go something like this: "how will this sound?" ... or... "I want the best exhaust.. whats the best?" Well, I found this excellent post by DeadPurple that answers that question thoroughly... Type of exhaust you should buy.

Now, we need a good how-to on taking the stock exhaust off, and installing a new one. In this post a good idea was formulated ... a drawing (labeled) showing where are cat, pre-cat, muffler, etc is located on the stock exhaust. People have tried to explain this lots of time, but reading all the posts makes things so confusing. A picture would be perfect.

Now, there has been some controversy about whether to weld the exhaust or clamp it. This is discussed in this post ... but the short and sweet answer is: clamp, do not weld. PuckPuck reinforces the fact that you should clamp, and not weld, along with giving tips on clamping in this post.

Now, I've learned that on 99-00 Cougars they have a second exhaust hanger already available (Ford was probably thinking about making the Cougar with a dual exhaust, who knows). However, the 01-02 Cougars do not have this second hanger. So, anyone looking to install a dual exhaust on their 01-02 Cougars (like myself) have to install a second hanger. Now, you could go to a muffler shop and have them weld a hanger on, but I was reading on Contour.org that you can do this yourself without welding. You can read about that in this post on Contour.org's website. They talk about using a hanger from a Taurus, and fabricating a piece of metal. Will this work on Cougars as well? It looks like it might, but I haven't heard or read anything this before.

Now, my only other question that was not even touched on in other posts, was about taking the stock exhaust off. I know that muffler shops use a blow-torch to take the stock exhaust off (right?), but a normal Joe like myself doesn't have access to a blow-torch. So, could we saw it off? Granted it wouldn't be as "smooth" as using a blow-torch, and probably hard as hell to do, but would it be safe?

There is also a great how-to by PuckPuck on teamneco.com about gutting the pre-cats (which is a cheap way of getting similar performance gains to headers).

I found a few useful pictures along my way (they are below) ... I'm after forgetting who's pictures they are, so I can't say thanks to them specifically... but I hope you don't mind me posting them here.

After searching and reading all the posts on exhaust systems, I'm just trying to make and once-and-for-all post that answers most everyone's questions.... and stop the madness! :)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
looks like you have collected a lot of good information here...

my personal feeling is though that through you actually going through the process of finding all of this information out you learned quite a bit more than what you've summarized here.

So, people should be forced to go through the process of learning, researching and collecting rather than having it all drop in front of them because then they will not only learned all about exhausts but how to find information on anything which would hopefully reduce the unending, repeating questions that seem to always get asked which are usually good questions but people are just sick of replying to them.

just my 0.02$

(actually to think about it just by putting your post on the board you've done enough! it will be searchable now forever. So if anyone wants to find anything out in the future they can!)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Awesome, those pictures are just what I needed too! I'm still up in the air which exhaust set-up to get also. That info should help me a lot, too. Let us know what you decide!

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your welcome. I'm glad people are finding this usefull.

I think there are only two choices for exhaust... YoDude or Borla. And the only deciding factor is sound. Like lots of sound? Get the YoDude. Like sound, but not crazy sound? Get the Borla.

...got no money? Go custom and get the same specs as YoDude or Borla, depending on what sound you like.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
You're totally right about the two choices...and I'd rather have the Borla....I love the look, but hate the big sound, but I'll have to see what's in my price range after the winter ;)

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm with ya, we got the same taste in exhaust.
I love the look, and sound when I want rev high... but not all the time.
Borla gives me everything I look for... but Borla is the most expensive :( My mom always told me I had expensive taste... :)

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
What's with this Monza Exhaust on the customcougars web-site? Anybody have this? It seems pretty cheap...

Mike

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Thanks that info was really helpful, But what im wondering, Is installing the exhaust something i can do myself, or should i have a shop do it. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by: 8BaLL
Thanks that info was really helpful, But what im wondering, Is installing the exhaust something i can do myself, or should i have a shop do it. :shrug:
Well, thats basically the same question I have. I see installing an exhaust no problem... except for 2 things:

1. If you have a 2001-02 model Cougar, you'll have to get a second exhaust hanger welded on. Thats something you'd probably have a shop do.

2. You need to use a blow-torch to cut the old exhaust off, at the headers. I don't own a blow-torch, nor know how to use one... but I'm trying to find out if I can just use a hack-saw and cut it off that way. Some people say I can't because the edges would be too rough... but I don't see what that should matter (???) ... and if it is too rough, can't I just sand it down afterwards? I dunno.

Besides those two things, jacking up your car is the only hard part. The exhaust just bolts onto your car... no welding required. Should be a peice of cake.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
wait a minute, why do you have to cut off the old exhaust? Every place that sells exhaust kits for the coug (james, yodudeperformance) say all you need is a socket set and WD-40? Or is this if you're gonna replace the ENTIRE exhaust (including cat)?

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought if you were going to replace ANY part of the exhaust (even just the tip) you had to get it blow-torched off.... or maybe just sawed off... not sure.

The stock exhaust it completed welded together... everything is welded... even the tip, and the cat to the headers... everything :)

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
ummmmmmmm........ if you get a catback exhaust (yodude) then all you need is some wd-40 and a socket. putting a catback in will replace everything from before the main catalytic converter to the tip. it's all a bolt on. and the only reason you would need to cut anything is if you are gonna do a custom exhaust (mix and match parts).

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
putting a catback in will replace everything from before the main catalytic converter to the tip. it's all a bolt on
that's what I thought. You got me excited there when you said I'd have to cut it off, considering i'm planning on ordering a yodude exhaust very soon. But it could be possible that some cougs may have it welded on...I bought mine used so I don't know, haven't really been under there yet.

Mike

·
Registered
364 Posts
i know for a fact that you have to cut or torch the tip to put a new one on, but other than that, i dunno cuz i haven't had time (or money:() to do much else.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Atlas said you had to blowtorch the stock exhaust off, that is not true for a few reasons... If you had to cut off the stock exhaust, an aftermarket one wouldn't be considered a "bolt on" modification. The tool used to cut metal with fire is an Oxy/acetylene "cutting torch". A simple blowtorch is a quartz spark ignited hand held torch that screws onto a small bottle of propane. A blowtorch cannot concentrate the amount of heat required to make a precise cut like a cutting torch can. IIRC I don't think it can even get metal hot enough to melt it. I used mine to clean off the head of the spark plug in my flooded dirtbike, among melting small plastic animals, cd's, burning matchbox cars, and setting fire to stuffed animals and such. The stock exhaust bolts just aft of the cat via a flange mount. This flange has 2 bolts in it that mate to the same kind of mount on the cat side and sandwiches the 2 pipes together. I can see using a propane blowtorch to heat those bolts if they are rusty and wont budge... Without a blowtorch just use a few minutes of occasionally spraying wd-40 on those bolts to let it wick down into the threads and help break up rust. Theres a product called "PB's Penetrating Catalyst" which does a better job IMO but is a little harder to find and smells worse. Once you have the flange mount apart at the cat, supposedly the whole exhaust just comes off the rubber hangers as one piece. Im about to go find this out for myself. As for installing the YoDude, im going to assemble it as one piece on the floor and hang it, supporting the unhung portions as i go along with extra jackstands. Ill take my camera down there and take photos as i progress... tho they may not look that great because i wont be able to lift the car too much. and this might not even happen tonight. well see.

edit: grammar

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The stock exhaust bolts just aft of the cat via a flange mount. This flange has 2 bolts in it that mate to the same kind of mount on the cat side and sandwiches the 2 pipes together. I can see using a propane blowtorch to heat those bolts if they are rusty and wont budge
Excellent! Thanks for the info. And if you could get some pics of your exhaust install, that would help a lot of us out!

Thanks again!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts