New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have decided to do the European headlight conversion, the following will have to be done in order to make the headlight street legal (flashing turn signal light when turning).......its actually quite simple......... Please read through first before starting this project....

1. Put your stove on high and get a knife (preferably one that you dont care if it is black from this use)
2. Take off the bulbs from your original headlight (the one with the amber glow)
3. Remove the bulb from its holder and the O-ring along the base.
4. Place the knife blade on the stove and allow to heat up for about 30 seconds.
5. Compare the euro bulb base to the US bulb base and figure out how much of the US you would have to cut off....... (it needs to be cut in half and it is too wide to fit as well.... take note of this)
6. Use the heated knife blade to cut off the undesired pieces....... you may only get half of the cut when you will half to place the knife back on the stove for a few seconds.
7. Once all pieces are trimmed appropriately, test the bulb base for proper fitment.
8. After proper fitment is positive, put the O-ring back to ensure a tight fit, and then put the bulb back on carefully.
9. Place the bulb base back onto the headlight asembly, attach the 3 pronged wire fitment that is meant for this and put headlight back on car.
10. Test turn signals to make sure you have plugged them in correctly and that the bulbs arent loose from there bulb base.

All-in-all this project took me about 30 minutes max.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Why is it illegal if you do not do this? I want the euro headlights but I dont really want to do this how-to. I was just curious on why they are illegal if you do not do this. But if I have to do it, I have to do it.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
the aussie heads come with clear bulbs in the turn signal. in the US, the turn signals have to be amber. kind of like clear sidemarkers that aren't illegal as long as you have an amber bulb be hind them. i'm still working on the installation of my aussies in my 99. i haven't worried about the bulbs yet but thanks for the info num1goalie! :biggrin:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is illegal because the light next to the white headlight has to be on all the time when you turn your headlights on......... they also have to flash whenever you put your turn signal on as well..... the way it is set up the 3 prong is the only one that does both but the bulb that is sent with the euros is the 2 prong one that only turns on but not blinks.......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a dremmel tool is probably a lot better to use in this....... but i used whatever i could....... and since i dont have a dremmel tool..... this is what i came up with......

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Hmm.... Thats one of the first things we all do is remove the damn OEM Amber color in our headlights... I am one of the MANY people that run with clear lights in the front headlight blinker and headlight relector areas.... Its not illegal unless you have red or blue in the front of the car and it flashes.... I could be wrong but I have NEVER been pulled over for my lights... any of them....

just leave the lights as is... I don't see a use for modiflying them unless you really REALLY have to...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well here in texas they are picky about that stuff....... which is why Sunni was pulled over for her clear sidemarkers....... i know that the laws arent the same everywhere but i figured i would still put this up for anyone that wanted to know how to do it.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts