New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
I don't have them but I would assume the same as how the factory ones are installed...by the 3 wing nuts.

G

·
I bought the wiring harness when I got mine. Helped alot...

However, you do have to splice the brakes likes (both reds light up when braking... it's bright too! Had a tailgater about ran of the road when I did a brake check!). I cannot remember which wires needs to be spliced together, but I'll look tomorrow when there's some daylight and tell you then...

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
i didnt splice anything on mine. i bought the harness and it was a direct fit. ,, and yes they are bright as hell

G

·
Hey I have been looking anywhere and everywhere to find euro tail lights for an 02 cougar, I think it would look amazing, please if anyone knows where I can get them, you must tell me!!!! thanks!

G

·
Originally posted by: COUGARCT
i didnt splice anything on mine. i bought the harness and it was a direct fit. ,, and yes they are bright as hell
I had to splice mine... The orange and black spliced into green and red. This is on the wiring harness itself.

Axio, since you've got two different stories here, go ahead and hook your new lights as normal (but don't install them, just let them hang). Cycle through the turn, reverse, brake, and running to make sure everything comes on okay (and to make sure the bulbs are in the right spot... I had turn and reverse swapped initially).

When you press the brake, both the brake and running (the red bubble by itself) should light up... (I'll take a picture of it tonight when it gets dark). If it doesn't and you want it to, then you will have to splice the wires.

Another way you will know if you have to splice the wires is by looking at the car-side of the connection. It will be a 6-point connection. If you have 6 wires going in, you should be okay. If you have 5 wires going in (like mine), then you will need to splice.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Damn! I got blinded by the pictures...I can imagine how nice they light up in person.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
i turned on my turn signal way early cause some guy was tailgating me, and he backed off by about 50 feet :evil: if they really piss me off, i turn on the hazards
in reverse, it looks like you have a flood light on the back of your car. you can see perfectly when you back up!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
i think he sells them together now. you have to ask them about it

G

·
yssupkat, it looks like your outside brake lights (in the same bubble as the running lights) are not on. Am I correct???

Axio, yssupkat's pictures are the wiring straight without any alterations (if I'm right and seeing things correctly). My pictures shows with the splicing performed that I talked about earlier.

NOTE: It's not night time yet, this is only in the shadows at 4:30 Central Time. I'll have other pictures tonight when it gets dark.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
looks good, bright as all heck. I'm using replica stoffler covers over them so it should look pretty cool. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
yssupkat, it looks like your outside brake lights (in the same bubble as the running lights) are not on. Am I correct???
craigsm.....this is what mine look like with the brakes on. they don't look as bright as yours since my camera is crappy. also, my running lights are not as bright b/c i needed to turn the bulb 90 degrees in the socket. once i did that, they are just as bright. i think that answers your question, but if not, let me know!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
You all probably know this already but on our cougars ( UK AND EURO) when you hit the brakes only the the red lights next to the turn signal light up with the centre brake light, the outer red domes are our tail / rear fog lights

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
the outer red domes are our tail / rear fog lights
yeah...those are the ones on mine that the bulbs were in and lit, but not as bright as they should be. i had to rotate the bulb itself by 90 degrees in the socket to make them as bright as everyone elses! people always think i'm riding my brakes when they are just my running lights!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts