·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some teaser pics for now. Damn! thats alot of parts. :evil:

Attachments

·
8,569 Posts
Other than the temperature being in Celsius, this will be a cool mod. I've wondered why no one has done it before - every time I've seen it come up, people just say, "It's been tried," and never give any more information.

Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Man deffinately let us know how that goes. I would love to have that in my car. Awesome mod! Did you pick that up off of UK Ebay? I'm excited to see how this turns out.

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
Rikenbomb said:
Will it come with Flinstones vitamins? :rofl:

Nice! Definitely keep us posted. However, the faceplate seems to be in silver and not black. How will this affect the other GB if you start this one?
The black ones exist. This looks to be a newer 01-02 style.

Greg

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Bigoudi said:
The black ones exist. This looks to be a newer 01-02 style.

they sure do! :) just look on UK ebay.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The black ones are about 3 times as much from the dealership. I needed a 01-02 style for my wifes car and it was MUCH cheaper anyway.

Here is what I can tell you. If you can find a second hand unit this mod can be done for a little more than 200 bucks with parts out of the junkyard.

JY parts out of 94-97 T'bird

Blower Motor control - behind the glovebox lower right hand side be sure to get the motor harness and the green harness
Blend door motor - will need the gears out of the existing motor in your cougar. In middle of dash along the firewall upper heater box. Suggest purchasing a new one as it is a bithc to get to. GET HARNESS
Blend door vacuum actuator behind glove box upper RH side GET HARNESS
White vacuum hose and black vacuum elbow w/ tee
Rear unit harness - All 3 connectors

JY parts out of 99-02 cougar

Outside temp sensor and harness - Located clipped to the frame next to Drivers foglight
Vanity mirror harness - white connector attached to a light up vanity mirror
HVAC panel out of an early 99-00 cougar with the "mystery hole" Can be sprayed to match 01-02 or a new one can be ordered from Bill J for $42

Parts that must either be purchased new or off ebay
Sunload sensor
Interior temp sensor
Head unit

Parts that are obsolete and must be ordered off ebay
Engine coolant sensor - not even required to maintain same functionality of manual controls. It only prohibits blower operation with a cold engine. Retarded if you ask me. I used a 560 ohm resistor to make the unit "think" the engine is warm. Works like a charm.

Or you could order all these parts new from FORD and pay around $600, $900 for the black headunit. I salvaged a couple T'bird parts for mine so it only cost $408 total.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here is an excel file, happy reading.

The prices are retail, they can be ordered through Bill Jenkins for ALOT less.

Attachments

·
8,569 Posts
Dude, that's great. I want this!

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Somebody else needs to do it now. I highly suggest getting most of the parts out of the junkyard. one part I highly suggest getting new is the Blend door motor as it is a pain in the ass to get to on the T'bird and many other cars. The only other car that I know of that has easy access is a 96-00 ford explorer with climate controls.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wadespencer99 said:
As soon as the weather changes, I'll be at the junkyards :)
Keep an eye out for other ford vehicles with ATC as you may be able to steal some parts from there. The most ridiculous priced part I bought was the sunload sensor, which is about the size from the knuckle to the tip of your pinky finger, was $38. If a top mounted sun sensor can be found that is roughly the same size and will fit in the hole in the dash under the defrost vent on the drivers side your golden. Threre are plenty of old T'birds out there with ATC so finding one shouldn't be an issue. Oh and tell the yards the Blower controller is a blower resistor, they'll charge you 50 if you call it a controller and $10-15 if you call it a resistor. If they give you any griff, tell them its $22 at the dealership.

Good Luck,
Andrew

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
**** **** ****, I found out that the black 01 panel for ATC is only available for the 99 style radio pocket. I ordered a new black panel from ford only to find out none of the European cougars got the square style CD6 radio. Guess I'll have to do a little cutting.

Edit heres a pic of it running in the car

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
Drewmanfu0 said:
**** **** ****, I found out that the black 01 panel for ATC is only available for the 99 style radio pocket. I ordered a new black panel from ford only to find out none of the European cougars got the square style CD6 radio. Guess I'll have to do a little cutting.
and I just found out my black 01 panel in my car is already the euro-spec [I knew there was a reason I bought it]. I had wondered why it fit my 99 radio. I should add the little note that the euro radio face must have had a slightly different curvature from the us-spec. Although I am sure very very few people would ever notice even from a foot away but its just alittle off.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bensenvill said:
and I just found out my black 01 panel in my car is already the euro-spec [I knew there was a reason I bought it]. I had wondered why it fit my 99 radio. I should add the little note that the euro radio face must have had a slightly different curvature from the us-spec. Although I am sure very very few people would ever notice even from a foot away but its just alittle off.
Terry,
My 01 radio does not fit the euro/99 style pocket what-so-ever it wont slide in the pocket at all. So heres what I'm getting in a couple months.

ebay :biggrin::biggrin:

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
and this is what I'm putting in mine.

not ebay

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So Terry, does your black panel have the mystery hole?

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
yes sir it does.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts