New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didnt really know where to put this psot at so since it has to deal with engines i put it here, ha now dont laugh when i ask this cuz im jsut curious. Has anyone ever tried to mount a V8 small block into a cougar? like the newer bodystyle cougar? Ha i dunno y im askin this but i just wanted to know if anyone has or if its even possible. So jsut get back to this whenever. thanks

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
It has been done. search the vids and pics section. It has been posted in there before, a few times actually.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sick! is it possible to put that in one of our cars and only have it as fwd? ha how much do u think that would cost?

S

·
0 Posts
Since its possible to put one of the Modular Supercharged Cobra motors in a focus and not have to do much mods I would say that anything is possible. And yes I have seen the focus. They put complete computer supercharged fuel injected cobra motor into a new focus...it was pretty amazing looking....and OMG its lightning..ill send some pics after i scan from my magazine

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ha nice, but still how much do u think that would cost to put a v8 into a cougar, and then to make it to the fwd, and also all the tranny upgrades, and with an atx u could pretty much forget it i would think , and this would purly haveto be for a really modified mtx? or am i wrong?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
It would be damn near impossible to put a small block V8 in a Cougar and keep it FWD.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The kit for the Focus is somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000. I imagine it would be about the same for the cougar.

S

·
0 Posts
the "kit " as you put it is for a standard carberated 302...These guys went and dropped computer 6speed and supercharged engine into the focus that I am talking bout....yeah i know its all bought da bills but still..

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Originally posted by: St8LyRaVn
the "kit " as you put it is for a standard carberated 302...These guys went and dropped computer 6speed and supercharged engine into the focus that I am talking bout....yeah i know its all bought da bills but still..
you realize it's the same block used in both applications.... one may be bored to a 351, but it's still the same small block ford....

anyhow the kit is roughly 5K$... make a post asking about the kit and i'm sure you'll get a link to the site that sells it. Once you have the kit though you still need to supply the entire powertrain (motor, tranny, shaft, axles, rear-end) as well as fuel cell and a few other things.

My only fear is, if you do this MAKE SURE YOU PUT A CAGE IN for more strucutural integrity. Rear wheel drive in a unibody car designed for FWD will undoubtively twist the body to **** on your first launch, rendering the car useless.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
very true pierre... very very true... so lets sum this up... THIS CAR WILL NOT BE A DAILY DRIVER AFTER YOU ARE DONE BECAUSE IT WILL BE A BIZNATCH TO GET IN AND OUT...

Also... James (ProjectCougar) once said that there was a coug drivin around Cali with a 01 cobra motor in it... would love to see it for myself.. seeing is believing..

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you are in Detroit or round-abouts there is a shop doing it there too. ATIMotorsports.com - they claim they can do the 5.0 replacement in a Focus for under 15K (with decent salvage parts - which aren't too hard to find, with guys wrapping Mustangs around trees at an alarming rate!) but they also have the ridiculous 500 HP tuned 4.6 conversion - for 70K plus an SVT Focus! But holy crap, what a sleeper. Although they don't cage it - which seems weird. Maybe the newer bodies are as stiff as the manufacturers claim.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts