New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up all. Here's my problem. My car is fairly new. 2001 with about 23k on the clock. Anyways for the past few weeks I've been noticing something with my engine temperature guage(e.t.g) in my car. If I'm in stop and go traffic, or if I leave the car in idle for more than a few minutes, or at a long traffic light the e.t.g goes all the way to the right. I did the little diagnosic mode thingy and my temp goes all the way up to 255~256. After I get going the e.t.g goes back down to the middle. It can't be normal for my engine to run so hot in traffic and at idle. I'm thinking I might need some new coolant, or something simple like that. Anyone got any advice?

·
Registered
597 Posts
It sounds to me like you're radiator cooling fans are not working. When ever you don't have enough airflow through the radiator (like in stop and go traffic or stopped/idling) the cooling fans should kick in to create airflow. The PCM controls the fans through a relay. I'd first check the wire connections to the fan motor itself. Then, in the main engine compartment fuse box, check the engine cooling fan fuse, low speed engine cooling fan relay and the high speed engine cooling fan relay.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,941 Posts
Yep. Your cooling fan should kick in at about 225 degrees and cool it back down below 200. 250 is WAY too high.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
you might also wanna check the temp sending unit.. i would check the thermostat first cuz its the cheaper allternative.. then if your still not fixing it then try the sending unit/fan solenoid.. might be fault.. there is probobly a way to jump the fan to test the soleniod to see if it still works.. also i just remembered.. have you checked the coolant level ??,, try that first

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
you might also wanna check the temp sending unit.. i would check the thermostat first cuz its the cheaper allternative.. then if your still not fixing it then try the sending unit/fan solenoid.. might be fault.. there is probobly a way to jump the fan to test the soleniod to see if it still works.. also i just remembered.. have you checked the coolant level ??,, try that first

·
Registered
593 Posts
After you resolve the issue I'd say to also get your tranny fluid changed. Everytime you increase the temps by 20 degrees the life of the tranny fluid gets cut in half. So driving with everything functioning at 250 degrees is like driving over 4 times that distance usually.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
If your thermostat is stuck closed, your temp will not go down while driving. If it's stuck, then coolant is not flowing through your block and heads at all....and cooler air running through the rad will not effect water temps that are not moving.

Your problem lies in the fans, most likely fan relay.

Do this. When your engine is at normal running temp (190-210), stop and keep the car running. As the temp starts to go up, turn on your AC. The fans should run with the AC on, no matter the engine temp. If your temp starts going back down, then your fans are working properly, the problem would then be your relay. If your temps do not go down, because the fans still didn't come on, then it's the fan motor.

I would still lean towards fan relay. Could be thermostat....but I would say relay.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This happens to be my very same problem on my 99 2.5l SVT. i bought the vehicle and the guy told me its been doing it ever sence the engine swap out. he said the dealership told him it wasnt over heating, but im not trying to take the chance, tomarrow i plan on switching out the fan temp switch. if this doesnt work im going to look into the relay. Anyone know exactly where the relay is and how to fix it lol sorry i can bust ya boobies on any F/A-18 problems you might have but when it comes to an engine, im prettty much lost.

·
Registered
60 Posts
and its a Cougar not a Contour!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.