New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guy's...new to the forum and in much need of help...doing a engine swap 99 cougar and putting in a 2000 engine and wiring harness...got it all hooked up(as much as possible since there are extra wires) anyway I was wondering if anyone would know the dif in the harnesses...I already know about the return/returnless thing ...got that under control....but when you hit the key ...nothing....any ideas?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Woah woah WOAH!

If you're putting an '00 engine in a '99, the best thing to do is swap harnesses! Make the '00 engine into a '99 engine (use the '99 LIM, fuel rail, etc) and all of the '99 sensors, up to and including pulling sensors from the '99 to put on the '00 engine if different (Oil pressure comes to mind, but I'm not sure if that was '01-'02 that was different). There were more than a few changes to the car between '99 and '00 (ATX VSSs for one - An immediate NO GO!), as well as a few others. You should have NO "extra" wires laying around.

Also, you need to use the '99 ECU to make the PATS happy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
there has to be at least one connector not used...the connector for the returnless fuel line...I won't be using that so what should I do with it....a few things come to mind..lol

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
You're using the wrong harness - That's the electronic fuel pressure sender for the '00 smart fuel pump (no vacuum controlled FPR), and chances are the pin-outs between the '99 and '00 ECU are what's causing your distress. Use the '99 wiring harness- PERIOD.

VSS=Vehicle Speed Sensor

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Trust me, listen to this man! He probably knows the Cougar better than anyone else around. I'd follow what he reccommends to a T, and chances are you won't have any problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
okay ...well I will go buy the 99 harness today...will let you know what happens...we were told that the 2000 harness would work, that's the reason we got it...thanks alot...

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Why not use the '99 harness from the old engine?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it was burned in a fire that was before we got the car...it has been one thing after another with this thing....didnt think it was going to be this hard to swap motors?

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Well its not easy but it sounds like your doing pretty good....

Props to you for fixing up a burnt cougar !

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Yeah, unfortuntely... You need to know the differences and be able to account for them between motors. There's no way you could have known the differences without really inspecting the engines, or posting here first to ask just such a question! The '99 to '00 differences really burned me while I was doing an ATX swap for a member. It wasn't until I was ready to drop the engine back into the car when I realized the VSSs were different between '99 and '00 ('99 car, swapping an '00 ATX)- There was also an additional harness, and the sensor was a magnetic pickup as opposed to a mechanical sensor! Bad words were yelled at that point... A lot of them. Had to punt, get a new trans, and sell off the '00 that didn't fit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey you guy's I want to thank everyone for all the information on the harnesses and everything...we finally got it started...believe it or not it started up on the very first time I hit the key....there is a GOD! anyway...I think someone got into the last 99 harness I bought and spliced some wires, not knowing what they were doing. We had to trace down the wires for the fuel pump...it was wired up to the fan, same color wires...anyway it is done! Our 99 Cougar LIVES!!!!! We were honestly wondering if we would ever here that sweet sound of the cougar screaming with open exhaust....9 pm last night...the neighbors love us! lol Anyway thanks again-DanG, you are the best man !

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Much appreciated, but the hard work looks like it was on your side...

Glad to hear it fired up!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
glad to hear you got that worked out, sorry i was of little help on the phone. i told u dan was the man.......lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.