New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone thinking about swapping 2.5 or 3.0 liter with Fords new EcoBoost engines? Will Ford sell this as crate motors and if so, does one think they would fit the Cougar setup? Wondering....... could be a nice match with power, MPGs and weight of Cougar. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Nope, nope and why? If you read the stickies you'll find that the main problem has been the introduction of variable cam timing on Ford Engines, our car's computer doesn't have the hardware let alone the software to control them, as such you loose most of your power and/or fuel economy right there.

You could stick a Turbo of similar trim in the Cougar on a stock 2.5 or upgraded 3.0 and have the tuner set it for economy rather than power, it'll still get you more power than stock, slightly worse gas mileage, and it will probably be more reliable than many power only builds that have gone up through the ages here.

·
3,400 Posts
not to mention the turbos hanging off both sides of the engine means it probably wont physically fit in the engine bay anyways.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
its a small package...it even hangs on the fenders from motor and trans in a similar manner...it ends there though, youd be running 2 pcms and be forced to use the automatic that comes with it. I'm not sure ecoboost is offered in just FWD either! so bypass the rear axle output, if even possible, and probably have to frankenstein the cdw-27 axles to the inners of the ecoboost trans axles...i dont see anyone wasting the time to do it though when you can just Mid-Engine you current drivetrain or get a Nautilus Turbo kit!

·
3,400 Posts
its a small package...it even hangs on the fenders from motor and trans in a similar manner...it ends there though, youd be running 2 pcms and be forced to use the automatic that comes with it. I'm not sure ecoboost is offered in just FWD either! so bypass the rear axle output, if even possible, and probably have to frankenstein the cdw-27 axles to the inners of the ecoboost trans axles...i dont see anyone wasting the time to do it though when you can just Mid-Engine you current drivetrain or get a Nautilus Turbo kit!
I dont think there would be enough room between the radiator and firewall in a Cougar to fit the turbos without them being too close to melt things. the stock manifolds or MSDS headers are already pretty close to the radiator and firewall, adding turbos would only make it worse. take the 6G72T in my VR4. the engine itself is very similar in size to the Duratec, but when you add the turbos it adds several inches to each side which would certainly prevent it from fitting in the Cougar engine bay.

·
Administrator
24,340 Posts
For the cost & amount of work of trying to make an Ecoboost work, I'd just do a rear-drive conversion and use a 5.0. Probably about the same amount of work and cost.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks gents..... good discussion here. Like the power and fuel economy I get now. Was just wondering on this issue since there has been so much positive talk about both fuel economy and power with the new ecoboost. Know that it is going in tight setups like the SRT Focus an new 2013 Escape plus other models soon.

·
Registered
845 Posts
i agree. not worth it.
id love to see someone do the 3.7L duratec build though. probably the easiest huge power adder for our cars.

·
3L Install Maestro
7,860 Posts
Thanks gents..... good discussion here. Like the power and fuel economy I get now. Was just wondering on this issue since there has been so much positive talk about both fuel economy and power with the new ecoboost. Know that it is going in tight setups like the SRT Focus an new 2013 Escape plus other models soon.
There is no SRT Focus... ;) SRT is dodge = SRT-4 Neon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well if you were to do an eco boost the 2.3 will fit do to its smaller size but you would have to lower the engine so reframe front end due to the fact the engine isn’t longer than the 2.5duratech but taller due to the twin turbo aspect yes you could do it but you would have to get a custom Ecu also to run it with the out of date computer system

1 - 15 of 15 Posts