New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine running bad after swap

I switched out my 99 2.5 for a 2000 SVT. Now that I got everything runnin it runs like sheet. When I accelerate it revs up to 7 grand but it doesn't go, the speedometer is off by like 15 mph and it sounds like it's having a hell of a time shiftin. I haven't reflashed the computer yet so that may be part of it, but I've been researching on the return and returnless fuel systems and I wondered if that was the prob. If I read the posts right the 2000 engine has returnless but the 99 is return, I didn't switch the fuel lines so does that mean I can't use the injectors from the SVT. I'd appreciate the help since I've been without my Coug for a month now and I thought I was done with the problems. I think I'm about to have a nervous breakdown. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
RE:Engine running bad after swap

You have to get the PCM reflashed to SVT specs. Do a search in the archives for the word "reflash". --JF

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
RE:Engine running bad after swap

Originally posted by: JF
You have to get the PCM reflashed to SVT specs. Do a search in the archives for the word "reflash". --JF
Good luck with that.
No SVT programs will work with an ATX.
You will need a custom chip.
In the meantime you can use your factory injectors instead of the 19lb units that the SVT engine has. This will get it running a lot better.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Originally posted by: CougarGT
Originally posted by: JF
Good luck with that.
No SVT programs will work with an ATX.
You will need a custom chip.
In the meantime you can use your factory injectors instead of the 19lb units that the SVT engine has. This will get it running a lot better.
The ECU wouldnt be causing those problems, it'd just be running rich. I don't understand what you mean when you say you didnt switch the fuel lines? If your harness plugged into the injectors, then there should be no problem... Give me some more details...

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Well, here's a question...

Do you have a 99 return system??

If so, you are running a return computer with a returnless engine...but when the engine was installed, they'd have to do something to the fuel lines to make it a single. And I assume, whoever installed the engine knew the difference between a return and returnless system.

If the lines were changed, and it was made into a returnless system, did the fuel pump get changed??

You'll probably need to use a stock 2000+ 2.5L ATX ECU, and then get a chip.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at the manual and I guess I didn't realize the return style had two lines. Both engines, old and new, had returnless. I'm using the ECU from my old engine which was 99 2.5L ATX. The ECU from the new(slightly used) engine was for a 00 Contour SVT 2.5L MTX. I just put my flywheel and trans on the other engine. The biggest problem I have is the engine won't accelerate now. I drove it for about 30 minutes once I got it runnin but now it just sputters and has a hard time runnin, it won't go any faster than ten mph. Also, my battery won't hold a charge and my ABS and e brake light stay on when the car is running.

As far as relashing, CougarGT, are you saying there is no such thing as an SVT automatic? I would think there would be at least one computer code that would work for an ATX. Does anyone know? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
The SVT was only a manual, therefore there is no standard code for the SVT and an ATX. If you get a custom program reflashed or a chip, then you'll be fine. They can make the coding for something near a SVT, and since your ECU id for an ATX anyway, they'll just add the coding for that too.

You're sounding like your engine swap didn't go so well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Did you fill your torque converter back up with fluid?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Originally posted by: JAKESTL
Did you fill your torque converter back up with fluid?
That, and IIRC you need to put the umm Pilot bearing(i think) into the SVT's block in order to use an ATX Correct?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts