New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to report to all who helped us through the pull/install process that my son got to "turn the key" tonight, and the engine fired up after the third try...:)

the motor had not run in 18 months, but sounded fine after the first 3-4 seconds...

my son was very nervous when he first turned the key, but i think the whole experience was great for both of us.

again, we could not have done it without all the help here...and for that we thank you very much !!!!!!

now if i can just find that tie-rod nut i lost i can road test the car...:flushed: then we'll know for sure that everything works the way it is supposed to....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, and yes, my son and i were very happy...

i'll post pics when we get her cleaned up and of the damage to the old engine.

we just dropped in a salvage motor 57K/$650 ....

when i picked the motor up the guy at the salvage yard just laughed at me and told me "good luck" because he claimed the cougar motor swap was one of the toughest and tightest he was aware of...

in the process of the swap my son learned a lot about his car and should now be able to fix most anything that goes wrong :) ok, maybe with a little help from dad, but when we started he didn't know a lug nut from a spark plug :rofl: while were going through this i not only identified every part but we also talked about what each part did and how it works...

the entire project took us 5 weeks so far and i figure another week or so to tweak things, then we'll take the blown motor apart to see exactly what went wrong and i'll try to post pictures then

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Congrats :)

sounds kinda like me, while i still have my original engine, Ive helped do 2 cougar engine swaps, suspension and brake work.... I just dont see any reason to get rid of the car ever, i know how to work on 95% of the car already heh.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
when i picked the motor up the guy at the salvage yard just laughed at me and told me "good luck" because he claimed the cougar motor swap was one of the toughest and tightest he was aware of...
It may be tight in there but aside from that and a few common oddities pulling and droping in an engine for a cougar isn't that tough. Like all car work it just takes time and if you go slowly and watch everything you can figure out what needs to happen. Glad things worked out for you guys.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I also did an engine swap with my father. It was an awesome experience, but we both are pretty mechanically inclined already and didn't have to talk about all the parts. Still, it was interesting and I ALWAYS learn something new. It really wasn't that hard to do. But it was my first engine swap, so I have nothing to compare it to. These forums are so amazingly beneficial for everyone on here that it is just unbelievable. Hopefully you and your son have all kinds of good experiences together like me and my father have. Even though we sometimes come off blunt and harsh, I know the knowledge that my father has taught me about working on cars is priceless and I will never forget anything. I'm sure your son feels the same way. Good luck in the future!

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
I have seen engine bays ALOT tighter than the cougar, almost no room whatsoever. The thing has to go in PERFECTLY STRAIGHT or else your cussing. Taurus SHO comes to mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my bro and i did my 2 to 3 hrs. aday 2 to 3 times a week. we both have 2 kid and had to pick them up from school. alot of fun no car host just an engine host just drop it from the bottom took about a month. did you drop it or did you go thought the top?

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Good job man.

The cougar was my first engine replacement too, although I did it pretty much all on my own, with a little help from my brother to turn a wrench. It was a long weekend, and things are a little tight. As you said if you take your time you can figure it out. I hope to do a project just like you did, one day if I have a son.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
my bro and i did my 2 to 3 hrs. aday 2 to 3 times a week. we both have 2 kid and had to pick them up from school. alot of fun no car host just an engine host just drop it from the bottom took about a month. did you drop it or did you go thought the top?
all we had was an engine hoist too, but we pulled motor/tranny combo out the top..

Good job man.

The cougar was my first engine replacement too, although I did it pretty much all on my own, with a little help from my brother to turn a wrench. It was a long weekend, and things are a little tight. As you said if you take your time you can figure it out. I hope to do a project just like you did, one day if I have a son.
its amazing what you learn about your kids when you spend time with them....

today was the first time the cougar was on the road, with tags and all, so i washed the car at a car wash and picked him up after school...he had no idea, it was as happy as i've ever seen him :):)

and now its mod time !!!!

btw, the shop i bought the engine from wanted my old one as a core, which i don't have any problem with, they also said i could remove anything i needed/wanted...so i've taken off the imrc, all sensors, the wiring harness, all vacuum stuff, anything bolted to the uim...so gues my question is whether i should pull anything else that might be helpful down the road...like water pump, power steering pump, injectors, etc...?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
stock manifolds if they were not clogged. What year motor what is and what year do you have now.

only asking because in 99 the Lower intake manifold was smaller then in 00 which is SVT spec

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
stock manifolds if they were not clogged. What year motor what is and what year do you have now.

only asking because in 99 the Lower intake manifold was smaller then in 00 which is SVT spec
99 motor, but the "new" motor is out of 98 mystique, i think

it did not come with exhaust manifolds...i had to swap them

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
definately take the alternator if it has one. Other than that, maybe the throttle body and Upper, that way you have a clean one on hand and don't have to spend the time later cleaning it all up, take off the old, toss on the new :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts