New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my engine light's been on for about 2-3 years! lol When i had it diagnosed they said it was a ground fault error. What exactly is that? I'm having trouble selling the car because ppl are afraid its something super bad lol. How much would it cost to fix it roughly?

Thanks,

Mike.

·
8,582 Posts
Check the code and report the actual code you receive (P followed by numbers).

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
My question is how many other things were neglected on this car.... WOW 2-3 years.....good luck with the sale!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well nothing was neglected, i replaced the MAF sensor, all o2 sensors, cat's been replaced, IMRC replced, done a full tune up (plugs wires coils etc), replaced air filter, plus other things im prob. forgeting so i can get this damn lighr off and still nothing. so please dont assume i neglected fixing anything in this car, if anything, i've fixeD EVERYTHING.

but really, thanks for your sarcastic, un-constructive comment..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the code and report the actual code you receive (P followed by numbers).
so i got it diagnosed again today by a friend of mine whos got an OBDII reader, the code i got was P0401, whcih is the EGR valve not getting enough air apparently. Is there a way I can clean it out? Where is it located and is there some sort of DIY on this? thanks guys.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
awesome link, thanks! I will do that.

But i was looking at the EGR valve, and the one hose that comes out from the top of it and goes behind the engine (green colored hose) was CUT! so i got some electrical sleeves and a heat gun and sealed it, i reset the engine light with the diagnostic tool, so hopefully that got it. If not then i will do the whole TB cleaning thing.

thanks for ur help!

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
possibly, the DPFE runs by vacuum so yeah id think it will solve your problem!

Report back if the light doesnt come back on in a week

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So the light came back on this morning, so I clean the TB, took it all apart and cleaned the lines shown in the link below, reset the light... and now it came back on again! lol same error p0401... the car behaves completely normal tho! fuel consumption, idles perfect, no pinging...weirdd...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts