New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, to start, all I've done to the car in performance is a Titan CAI and some dynomax duals. It's an '01 2.5 L ATX with about 38000 on it, never missed an oil change, and its not thrown any CELs, Temp guage stays normal. History of alt probs, but those have been fixed and the alternator replaced. The last week it's been sounding really wimpy and I can't figure what's up, so I pop the hood and rev it with the throttle cable, and coming back down to idle it dies. I try from inside the car and it does the same thing. So far it's only done it revving in park, coming back to idle, but I don't want it to get worse. I'm thinkin maybe bad o2 sensor, or dirty fuel filter? whatever it is, its not gettin enough fuel at that point. Also, I've moved down from premium to super the last two tanks, gas has been so expensive, if that holds any bearing. I'm thinkin I'll go ahead and get the oil changed, run some fuel system cleaner, take all my aftermarket off and take it to the dealership, but in the meantime, anybody got any ideas as to what's up? Any advice would be great.

Thanx,
JD

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I had the same problem when i installed the SCA CAI. All i did was make sure the MAF was positioned correctly, and it solved the problem for me.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have an 02 mtx, and when mine started doing this (I have GMK CAI, same as yours pretty much) "dying at idle or coming down from idle" thing I did the same as you, changed the oil. But that didn't help. So I talked with CougarGT, and he told me it was probably the IAC Valve (Idle Air Control Valve). So I went to the dealer and got a new one (they gave it to me under warranty ;)) and replaced it. Now she purrs like a kitten. No problems with idle anymore. So if I were you I'd go get that and change it first, instead of taking all your Aftermarket off and taking it to the Dealership.

Hope this helps somehow, and maybe someone will come in here and back me up or say I'm wrong :shrug:

Z (jason)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Is it cold outside when it happens? This is what happend to me. When it was cold outside my car would start but then stall right away. I had to keep my foot on the gas till my engine warmed up. I changed my fuel filter, Check it out and after that it fixed the problem. It could be your IACV. Do you have moooosing? Also when I wash my cone filter, if I dont reset the ecu, my car stalls untill it relearns the idle rate. Its scary when I dont do that cause i'll be driving along, turning a corner and my car stalls. One time I almost hit someone crossing the street cause my loss of power steering.

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
fuel filter or iacv may be the problem but 1st, try rotating the maf 90 degrees.
stop using the expensive gas cuz you dont need it. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, so I'm hearing IAC valve, is this easy to change? I assume so if thy'll give u the part on warranty and let u do the work urself. Also, repositioning the MAF, is that turning it rotationally? I'll have to check it out. Fuel filter prolly needs changin about now anyway, just for good maintenance, so I guess I'll try it all. Thanx everybody, keep the advice comin.

JD

D

·
0 Posts
I had the exact same problem. I took it to my cousins house hes a mechanic for ford. He checked for vaccum leaks and there werent any. He took off my intake and cleaned the MAF then put it all together again. I think he positioned the MAF a little different. The car still ran bad that day but the next day it was fine and has been fine all weak. So maybe cleaning your MAF and positioning it a bit will help?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Alright, so I'm hearing IAC valve, is this easy to change? I assume so if thy'll give u the part on warranty and let u do the work urself. Also, repositioning the MAF, is that turning it rotationally? I'll have to check it out. Fuel filter prolly needs changin about now anyway, just for good maintenance, so I guess I'll try it all. Thanx everybody, keep the advice comin.
1) is it easy to change...well I would say yes, but I've done it a few times (I take it off when I clean my UIM). There are only 2 10mm bolts holding it to back (well technically side) of the UIM (Upper Intake Manifold). I'll post a pic of what it looks like so you'll know (incase you don't). All you have to do, pretty much, is unbolt it, and bolt the new one on there, with a new IACV gasket. Both of which can be gotten at your local dealer. My car was still under the 3year 36k mile warranty, so it was for free, I believe once you pass into your extended warranty, not as many parts are replacable for free. Just check with your dealer. (plus everyone in the service department knows me by my first name, and I walk around there at my leisure, they even let me use their tools lol)

2)now, repositioning the MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) on a CAI (Cold Air Intake) is just so that when the air goes around that last bend before the straight pipe into the UIM, it won't hit any distractions to slow it down.

3) I personally don't remember how often the fuel filter should be changed, but I "think" it's every year just for good maintenance (or every 15k miles whichever comes first). But like I said, I can't remember, maybe someone will chime in and either back me up on that or correct me either one would be great. But yes, you probably should go ahead and change that just for good maintenance.

Attatched at the bottom is a pic from the Ford Repair CD of the IACV.
The Ford CD says to tighten bolts back to 10NM.

Z (jason)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Originally posted by: ov3n
stop using the expensive gas cuz you dont need it. :)
Exactly what i was going to say! I don't think thats your problem, but its your wallets problem. There is absolutely no reason to used super or premium is your engine is designed for regular.. Anybody that tells you different is :crazy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts