New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I discovered two broken studs on my p side front wheel tonight. No junkyards are open on Sunday, and this is the only legal and otherwise functional transportation for my family right now.
If anyone in the area (eastern ct) has a front hub and could get it to me, I would love you long time. Call or text Scott - 8602871861

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wonder how many people have had broken wheel studs on the passenger front? I know that I have twice

·
Administrator
24,337 Posts
Mine was on the passenger rear. Only one ever.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wait, the studs are replaceable? I thought I needed a new hub. Can anyone give me a quick overview?

·
Administrator
24,337 Posts
I didn't even use a punch. Just remove the rotor and give the broken stud a good smack on the end with a hammer. One hit and they usually pop right out. You don't want to wail on it because that might damage the wheel bearing.

You just have to make sure to turn the hub to a spot where there's enough clearance behind it for the stud to come out completely.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got all four studs replaced and the car safely home. Thanks for straightening me out on the hub issue. I think I will need to replace the other 12 now just in case.
After my original post, I tried to move the car to a safer spot, and the last two ended up breaking off as well. The tire caught the car and kept the rotor from hitting the ground, but my fender got bent up a little. Not the end of the world, but if anyone knows of a zn in your local junkyard, let me know, as I need a new fender.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts