New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Did you lift your foot off the gas pedal when you hit 6k? I ask this because it doesn't seem right that it is taking almost half a second for the transmission to engage second gear before the car seems to accelerate again.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,820 Posts
01-02's aren't as quick as the 99-00 models.

Automatics aren't quick at all.

That is why we mod these cars to HANDLE.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
You had your foot on the brake until you hit about 3K RPM's, right?

If so, I saw the speedometer start moving at ~3 seconds into the video and you hit 60 at ~12 seconds...so that's about a 9 second 0-60, which is pretty normal.

·
Registered
653 Posts
hmmm, seems to start moving about that 3 second mark and then gets there before the end of the video, so maybe a tad less than 9 seconds.

Why not take it to a track and find out a 1/4 mile time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the car starts moving at 1 second and gets to 60 at 12 seconds....that cant be right...right?..and no i didnt hve my foot on the brake til 3k, i floored it at 1 second

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Just try it again, a couple times. I know mine is faster than that, and I have intake, and a chopped muffler (N00B!!), so I'm almost in line with your mods... Sometimes you can't really floor it without the revs jumping and it not engaging for a second, you have to experiment, and I know I never began any autocrosses flooring it immediantly...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've found that the car is easily able to accelerate to 60+ from a dead stop, or moving, if you let it build some low RPM up before you open the secondaries. Get the pedal to about 30-45% pressed and let it build in 1st between 2k and 2.5k RPM then floor it. You might have to play around with the amount of pedal pressed and the amount of RPM you have to wait before you floor it, but it will build the low end of the car up quicker and make the acceleration faster on the top end. The automatics don't do very well with opened secondaries in the low RPM area.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
the car starts moving at 1 second and gets to 60 at 12 seconds....that cant be right...right?..and no i didnt hve my foot on the brake til 3k, i floored it at 1 second
:eek: I don't think that is right. How many miles on your car?

·
Banned
5,851 Posts
if you pull the ebrake up and step on the pedal and let if rev up a little and drop the ebrake while your reving you'll get a way better start of the line, my other 99 i use to have was a auto tragic and there's little tricks of launcing an auto, the best quarter i got with it was high 16's, the auto cougar is not fast at all, unless to mod the crap out of it, but i don't nemesis had some kick ass 1/4 mile times in his auto, but he had nitrous in it

1 - 20 of 77 Posts