New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 V6 2.5L Cougar and i was wondering how you install an oil pressure sending unit. I was looking at a how-to on another page, http://www.gtx-citement.com/house/glicoes/GaugePodInstall.htm, and it was quite helpful. However, when i comes to removing the PCV valve and oil plug on the rear head... I'm hesistant. Here are all my unresolved questions about this job:

Doesn't oil suppose to meet the sender?
won't removing the oil plug cause oil to pour everywhere?
what tools do i need? (the cheaper the better)
How do you connect a wire to the sender itself?
Anything i should replace while i'm working down there? (PCV?)

If anybody could explain how to do this even more simply since i'm new at mods, it would be greatly appreciated. Pics would be great

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Doesn't oil suppose to meet the sender?
won't removing the oil plug cause oil to pour everywhere?
what tools do i need? (the cheaper the better)
How do you connect a wire to the sender itself?
Anything i should replace while i'm working down there? (PCV?)
:banghead:

a) yes of course

b) no think about what goes back into the hole

c) investigate by opening your hood...

d) solder

e) PCV if past the recommened service interval, probably removing the UIM/TB/LIM/injectors and giving them a good cleaning would be a good idea

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I really doubt you have to solder the wire to the sender. I just installed a trans temp gauge and all you do is put a ring connector on the end, and then tighten a small (included) nut over it, done. I will be doing an oil PSI gauge soon too. I've read it isn't bad, just make sure your car has been turned off for a while so all the oil has time to drain to the bottom. I'm sure oil will get on the sender, but remember its measuring pressure not oil temp. Not sure if you can use the same plug for the oil temp sender.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.