New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Mercury Cougar that is having electrical problems. The problems were flickering lights throughout the car (dash lights, headlights, reading lights, etc.), a battery warning light going on and off and the sudden loss of power at freeway speeds. I took it to the dealer who replaced both the battery and the alternator. Within a day, the lights again are flickering and I have lost power again (for a very short period) while driving at freeway speeds (happens every now and then). The flickering is the most pronounced at lower level speeds and when you are driving at high speeds and take your foot off the gas and let it gradually slow down. Also, the lights do not flicker when the lights are on and the engine is not running. My guess is that whatever is causing the electrical problems is also causing the engine cut-outs (maybe the power to the electronic fuel injectors is temporarily cutting off). Any thoughts on what the problem (s) might be? Thanks.

·
Administrator
24,494 Posts
Too much resistance on the wires from the alternator. Bad design.

There's a fix you can do - the dealer probably knows, because Ford issued a Technical Service Bulletin for this very problem. It was posted on here a while ago. Some people have had the dealership fix it for free under warranty. But it is NOT a recall, so if you're out of warranty, it's on YOUR dime.

Anyways, check out this link.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. The car is still on warranty so I can get it fixed for free. I'd like to show them the service advisory to which you refer. Any idea where I can find it? Also, do you think this wiring problem is also the cause of the intermittent and very short engine cut-out problem?

·
Administrator
24,494 Posts
Originally posted by: Baldyman
Thanks for the info. The car is still on warranty so I can get it fixed for free. I'd like to show them the service advisory to which you refer. Any idea where I can find it? Also, do you think this wiring problem is also the cause of the intermittent and very short engine cut-out problem?
Make : MERCURY
Model : COUGAR
Year : 2000

Service Bulletin Num : 00256
Date of Bulletin: DEC 11, 2000

NHTSA Item Number: 616823

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Summary:
SOME VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A V6 ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT A FLICKERING CONDITION OF THE HEADLAMP, INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, RADIO, AND INTERIOR LIGHTS DURING ENGINE START-UP AND MAY CONTINUE DURING THE FIRST SEVERAL MINUTES OF ENGINE IDLE.

I'd alert your dealership to this particular TSB, and see what happens...

EDIT: found it here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts