New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was contemplating replacing my stock water pump with the BAT fully electic one to free up some hps without spending to much money. I was wondering if anyone else has done it and can say wether or not the like the new setup. Just curious. Thanks

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Kinger and chime in on this.

From my understanding, it was a MAJOR PITA to get it running properly.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
How much is "too" much money and are you good at fabricating needed parts?

The electric pump & controller is around $350-400.

You will have to fabricate some of your own piping, all the connections, and also cut and weld some of the stock piping.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would you have to weld up exactly??

As for the custom piping is it really that bad?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
It is a PITA but really nice once complete. Demon is right to make a nice clean install it would invlove cutting/welding, however I made mine work without doing that and the beauty cover on the engine covered it up so you coudln't see it. Basiclaly the pump sits in the stock location cockeyed and not flush to the block. It was nice on my Sc 3L but in a stock car stay with the normal pump and they are around $80 and you coudl replace them 4 times for the cost of the Electric. Plus the electric cost more then the $300-400 to make it perform like a std pump/thermostat operation. Problem being that in the cold the car wou;dn't warm up for over 30 minutes! It was because the pump woudl only cycle the fluid once the temp sender on the controller saw the right temp, well it woudl take that long before the fluid was all warmed up and the pump was constantly ciruclating, until then it was start and you woudl get warm air then stop and you woudl get cold air, it sucked! So i bought a mini pump foor my heater core line for another $100 and it ran all the time continually circulating warm coolant, but not circulating it too fast to not let the engine warm up. Complicated when done but it performed like stock and kept my 320+ hp engine cool utilizing the stock radiator.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I C Thanks alot i appreciate the info....

·
Registered
404 Posts
Damn I was thinking of changing to the electric pump myself eventually since I have 40k miles and don't want to take a chance with the stock pump failing. That not having warm air problem seems like it would totally suck.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
If the problem with the water pump circulating while the engine is cold is a problem. Perhaps a temp switch could be be incorporated into the wiring for the pump. So that the pump will turn on once the engine has reached a certain temp. (this way the engine can warm up)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts