New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE TRIALS AND TESTING OF THE MYSTERY OF ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGING!!:goofy:

OK, well, I'm gong to solve a VERY large Mystery and I'm going to do it with tests and by measuring the outcome of the mystery using accurate equipment. It has been an ongoing contorversial topic as to whether or not it can produce noticable gains in HORSE POWER. This mystery is of the ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER! Most of us have heard or read about this and completely Laughed at it, while others have talked about it, tried it, and SWEAR by its power producing capabilities as commonly seen on the
internet. Both its Producer and Marketing team "claim" that it can produce anywhere around 2-3PSI "depending on the vehicle". They say that it is supposed to be the "Biggest Bang for the Buck" without installing something completely time consuming and something that actually takes away from the
engine's power just to give it back. For example, a Supercharger runs of the centrifugal motion of the engine putting a strain on its rotating mass. A Turbocharger puts a greater resistance in the engine's exhaust causing the engine to have a need to work harder to expell the exhaust gases. While the
Electric Supercharger doesn't run off anything directly produced by the engine, thus causing Less of a draw on the engine allowing the greatest power gains for the output of the unit. It has been said that the E.S. (Short for "Electric Supercharger" from here on out) actually DOES put a strain on the engine through it's electrical system by taking some of the power away from the engine's electrical system because of the E.S.'s LARGE draw for power to operate it. This is bad because the Spark thats produced from your spark plugs to ignite the fuel mixture in the combustion chamber relies greatly on the engine being Grounded out and if the E.S. draws so much power it leaves Less for the spark plug to have a Good Ground which only allows for a less efficient spark. Well, this is only a theory as described on the internet and sounds to have some relavance to it, but we don't really know the truth
for sure unless its tested properly. Although, in all honesty, it Does sound to have a bit of truth behind it. Well, this isn't the theory that I am going to test anyway. In fact, I'm going to test the ability of an E.S. to actually produce a Positive Intake Manifold Pressure and be able to hold it in the
hopes of producing a decent Horse Power output per the prevailing lower cost of the unit...aka..."Biggest Bang for the Buck" again. I am going to do this by constructing an extremely similar unit like that sold online to verify it's "Claims" and put the "talk" to rest!

Heres how I'm going to go about doing so.
I'm going to construct a unit with parts that can easily be obtained by anyone.
Heres how:

First, I'm going to have to find something that has the ability to produce the power needed to provide a pressure to the intake manifold. I have decided to do this by purchasing a High Powered Electric Leaf Blower. These units come in a variety of sizes and power rating. The one I'm looking for is one capable of producing wind speeds of over 200MPH! This is clearly marked on the box the leaf blower is in so it will be easy to find.
Well, I now have the HEART of the project. The next question that comes to mind is, we know it has the power to produce "wind" at a high velocity, but will it have the power to maintain a "pressure" in the Intake Manifold? All thats required is around 2-3PSI as claimed by the internet model E.S. We will
find out later I guess when the contraption is actually put together.

Next, I know that the Leaf Blower operates off of A.C voltages and our cars run off of D.C. voltages. A.C. is "Alternating Current" where as D.C. is "Direct Current." So, now we have the quest for being able to convert the D.C. voltage of 12-14volts produced by our car battery to a useable 110-120volts
A.C. The answer to this is a Power Inverter! This will effectively convert the voltage to the perfect amount of volts that our Leaf Blower will need. The only question now is will it produce the required Current that the unit requires? Most of the Blowers have electric motors on them that require about 12 Amps of power to operate give or take. Now I don't know if any of you guys know anything about power via electricity, but thats ALOT of power draw! haha Well, Now we just need to get a Power Inverter that is capable of putting out an Amperage as close as possible to this required 12 Amps. All I have to do now is a little shopping so as not to break the bank which is the whole reason for going Electric for both the ease of installation and the LOW cost thing.

Alright, so now we have the Compressor housing(Leaf Blower) and the Voltage to Power the Unit (Power Inverter). Now all we have to do now is decide when to have the unit be turned on and when. The "E-Ram" only turns on when at W.O.T.(Wide Open Throttle) so I am going to duplicate this action and mount 2 switches. The first switch will run into the cabin to turn the whole mechanism On and Off. The Second will be mounted right by the Throttle Body so when the Throttle reaches W.O.T. the "arm" controlling the Butterfly Valve pushes against a Momentary switch actuating the E.S. and
hopefully "Forcing" air into the Intake.

Now, the only thing left to do is go Shopping for the proper parts and see if we can come up with the perfect combination of parts that fits a decent budget of sorts to create this E.S. I am in the process of an engine swap right now into my Cougar, and as soon as shes complete, I will be starting on this project. So, for now, it can be "up for debate" and see what people post for comments either saying "yea, thats a good idea to test" or "What the Hell are you even going to try that for". Either way, It should make for some interesting commotion. Let me Know whats going through your heads People!

I'm going to try and go into this project with a Neutral position on it so as not to be TOO buyist haha.:rofl:

So, I don't care of you guys go ahead and say that I'm the dumbest person alive for doing this. But, I choose to look at it this way, We are trying to get the most performance out of our cars anyway we can right? Well, if this comes out to work better than we had though and it actually produces a decent power gain thats the best Bang for the Buck, than I just helped many people in deciding what it is that they can do next to their cars! right? or no? haha! Either way, I'm trying to uncover this mystery once and for all, because it has been plauqing the Tuner Scene for a while now.
Dyno Runs, Vacuum Guages, Boost Guages, and actual Time trials will be run to see the actual power gains/losses of this unit.

The only thing that I have to add is the unit should be a Restrain on the intake when it's not ON which SHOULD reduce the power of the engine under Normal driving conditions when your not at W.O.T. (Now Granted, some of you guys don't have a "Normal driving condition" in your vocabulary because
some of you might drive like a Freakin' Race Car Driver and actually your "normal driving" IS at W.O.T....hahahaha...well, this doesn't completely Apply to you then, haha)

Well, alright, I did my best at trying to describe this Test and Construction process to you in the hopes of trying to solve this age old mystery. Now we might be surprised, or we might be like "DUHH" we all knew that was going to happen. Either way, thats the Point of the tests. So Hopefully I come up with
some definitive results.
I'll be using Vacuum guages, Boost guages, Voltmeters, Actual 0-60 runs, Hopefully Actual DYNO runs also!
If anyone has any questions about anything here, feel free to ask me and I'll do my best to answer them or explain anything that I may have left out!
Let your minds RUN FREE!! HAHAHA :evil::biggrin:

·
3,109 Posts
heres a fello members thread about the ES. He however does not take critisism well or listen to others; leading to many locked threads.http://www.newcougar.org/forums/garage-talk/116509-has-anyone-ever-done-before.html

HOWEVER you seem to have a head on your shoulders. what kind of experience do you have with this sort of thing? Just be ready to find out you wasted time and money if (most likeley when)it doesnt work. there are a good few vids of leafblowers on cars if you search youtube.

Maybe it will work for you to an extent tho.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Hi ERTHling09! :wave: Enjoying your ban I see?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
:rofl:

This guy in my class was pumped about one.. he told me he was getting it installed soon then I never heard back from him. Guess it didn't work.

I wouldn't trust the thing, mostly because I would be scared the bits of plastic of whatever would eventually break and fly into my engine.

·
Administrator
24,343 Posts
If it was a good idea, some automaker would be doing it already.

GHETTO.

·
8,512 Posts
Short version: There's no way to pump enough air into the engine to make it work.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
In the spirit of boredom and pretending that this is a legitimate topic . . .

If you can hook up an electric motor large enough to produce 2-3 psi (which I HIGHLY doubt even the highest-end electric leafblower can do), you will need to draw a huge current from your car. This means your alternator will have to supply that current. As far as I know, if you want to increase the output of a generator, you need to put more work in to it. I don't know the direct equations, but that pretty much makes sense. So, your engine needs to do more work to move the alternator. Now, the alternator creates an AC current, which it then converts to DC. Then you want to run that DC current to an inverter to turn it back into AC to run your leafblower. This is going to require alot of wire, which means you are going to have power loss due to heat, power loss every time you convert, and power loss due to overcoming friction in your motor. It may not be a huge amount, but unless you have thousands of dollars, you are probably using cheap stuff, so you will need to pump ALOT of power out of your alternator. All to gain 2-3 psi.

I just don't see that resulting in enough power to overcome the parasitic loss of the alternator AND giving you enough of a power increase in the vehicle to justify doing this.

Even if you decide to beef up the alternator, put in a bigger electric motor for the supercharger, put in thick, low resistance wire, this is alot of weight, all still for a boost that a smaller, lighter traditional supercharger would just laugh at.

In fact, for a fraction of the cost of your electric supercharger set up, you could have gone to microblue and gotten your supercharger internals coated and replaced your bearings, resulting in very little parasitic loss, and you'll be pushing 15 psi all day.

Just my $0.02

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
wouldn't running the blower in open loop mean no ECU adjustment. Either it would need tuning or else running poorly adjusted. Putting a variable speed controller on the power supply means you could add air proportionally to the throttle position.. G.

·
3L Install Maestro
7,860 Posts
Decided to read the first post....

You need to do some more research. There are companies out there that make gains from electric superchargers. The problem is the current needed far exceeds what a single car battery can output. You need to run a few batteries to supply the current and even then they can only sustain the needed current output for 10-15 seconds. Then the alternator slowly charges the batteries back up. I don't believe there are any systems out that are capable of supporting continuous boost with an electric motor. You'd need an insane alternator which would undoubtedly suck more power out of the motor to turn so in that case you might as well run a supercharger or turbo. Skip this idea and go straight for a supercharger or turbo. There is nothing wrong with sacrificing a few hp to gain a bunch of hp. You still gain hp from a turbo or supercharger. Your not going to save money vs. a supercharger/turbo. You'll end up blowing a bunch of time and money into this and still have a car without boost. If you want to do something on your own build your own supercharger/turbo.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
erthling = this guy = desolator...i'm convinced.
What??:confused:
"Thomas Knight"??
And I'm on my only computer, its my Dell Laptop at my house. I don't go to school, and I work from home.
My name is Rick for those of you who Don't know me.
Uh. Pleased to meet you folks?? I think. lol

Please Explain!

And about the E.S. Everyone seems to NOT like the idea very much?
Should I just say forget it and honestly not bother to invest my time and money into finding out the outcome of this experiment?

To: "B3NN3TT"
and YES sir, I do believe you are correct that IF it were a good idea that some automaker Would infact have already produced something along the lines of an E.S. I find it funny that we have not heard about anything of the sort, not even in testing phases. Maybe because the benefits of a Real Turbo or Supercharger just out weigh the good points of the E.S. with the higher more sustainable power gains through conventional forced induction.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
I'm convinced that if the IP addresses matched he would be gone by now.
That may be true, but there is SOMETHING fishy with this. The coincidences and similarities are just too strong for this to be a new person posting this at total random.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
and YES sir, I do believe you are correct that IF it were a good idea that some automaker Would infact have already produced something along the lines of an E.S. I find it funny that we have not heard about anything of the sort, not even in testing phases. Maybe because the benefits of a Real Turbo or Supercharger just out weigh the good points of the E.S. with the higher more sustainable power gains through conventional forced induction.
You just answered your own question there.

Just get a real supercharger and be done with it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts