New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Cougar V6 MTX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, got a 1999 2.5 MTX Cougar

The electric lock switches and tailgate switches aren't getting power (and of course aren't working), all fuses seem to be getting the power they should.

Anyone ran into something like this before? Or know how to fix this? I'm rather stumped, have to try unhooking the battery for a while but after that I'll be fresh out of ideas....

The security light blinks like normal, apparently they could be solid or blinking fast when these issues occur indicating a security error but mine shows no indication of this (our 99 SE V6 MTX Contour had the same system so I know how the blinking light works haha)

·
Registered
78 Posts
It could just be the switches themselves. Ebay has them pretty cheap. The trunk lid could be switch or you might have to trace the wiring to find where it's drawing the power from. I had to take the corrosion of the wires and cut them back a few inches as well as, using a wire brush on the terminal just so I could get a proper connection.

·
Registered
1999 Cougar V6 MTX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could just be the switches themselves. Ebay has them pretty cheap. The trunk lid could be switch or you might have to trace the wiring to find where it's drawing the power from. I had to take the corrosion of the wires and cut them back a few inches as well as, using a wire brush on the terminal just so I could get a proper connection.
I've ran into this with every 90s Ford I've owned now except this Cougar, power isn't getting TO the switches for them to pass power to the locks and hatch latch. I did test the switches alone and they will operate as soon as I can get power to them.

Someone elsewhere tipped me off to a "power door lock relay" hiding behind the glovebox so I'm looking into this as we speak......

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
The wiring manual shows all those circuits in pretty good detail.

I would start by looking at Ground 10 in the P side footwell.

The drawings don't show a power door lock relay.
The anti-theft/central locking module is common to both the doors and the trunk. That module should not be confused with the PATS, its a separate system, minimally associated with PATS.

My money is on the ground though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts