New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced an UIM/TB/ and some other stuff on another cougar this week and while going over the final tightening/checking I noticed that the small vaccume line that goes between the top of the EGR and the vaccume regulator is broken. It is a hard plastic line that is small (read- how the heck can you repair something like this!?) and is broken in half right at the midpoint of a 90 degree bend. I ordered a new hose ($32!) but my question/ theory is this:

She now has a CEL for issufficient EGR flow (I tried to repair hose with a straw and electric tape temporarily and lasted 2 days). However, she had a CEL BEFORE the install as well so the hose may have been broken before I did the work. The old UIM had a touch over 70K miles on it uncleaned and the ports that lead from the EGR to the UIM directly behind the throttle body were pretty much completely filled in with crud. Ive never seen so much crap- I dont even think any air was getting through. Sooooo, if the hose had broken many miles earlier would that leave the EGR open or closed? And would this be why there was so much crud deposited in the opening of the UIM? Or...is that just how clogged the UIMs become with that many miles. I dunno cuz I clean mine at least 2 times per year. Any info on how this works?

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
I'm fairly certain it would stay closed, as it requires vacuum to actually open.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK- thanks Puck. Car is still running ok from what I hear so just gotta wait it out till Friday when the part should be in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts