New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Buyer Beware
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone looked into removing the EGR (or rerouting the pipe which flows the hot exhaust gases into the UIM)?

theroetically eliminating the EGR or preventing the hot exhaust gases would increase hp right due to colder induction temps...

i realise the exhaust gases help warm the car up and may cause some problems but im not worried about that.

Has anyone who has performed this Mod felt any difference?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Originally posted by: GrandMasterKhan
has anyone looked into removing the EGR (or rerouting the pipe which flows the hot exhaust gases into the UIM)?

theroetically eliminating the EGR or preventing the hot exhaust gases would increase hp right due to colder induction temps...
Brad Noon did this... i am pretty sure that someone else did it too... can't remember there name right of hand.

i'd like to know more Brad... how exactly did you go about doing this?

i was looking at the service cd today, and quite a bit actually connects to it....
i know you connected your sensor in teh intake side of it.... but then there is a very small vacuum line that runs to the egr too... did you just block that off as well as the exhuast side?

also.... cat88extreme mentioned that our 2.5L motors start out with 230hp? but due to emissions they use things like the eg r valve and the ecu to turn it all down to meet regulations... making actual out put 170hp?

now that doesnt' seem very likely, no offense to you Jason. but i talked ot a couple of people about this and it just does not seem very likely that they lost 60hp? yes they lost some i'm sure, but 60hp?

then there is leo capildi who runs what the svt motor should respectively have of 290 hp... but he alos has no a/c... but he has every ported etc etc.... that sort of would make sense?

hopefully you understood all that.

brad- how about a how to on the eg r valve? do you ahve any pictures?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
GrandMasterKhan:
An easy way to eliminate the gases going into the intake would be to just take the tube comming off the egr and attach a small filter at it's end (the filter is just for the purpose of keeping your car greenhouse friendly). Then block off the place where that tube goes into the intake. I've heard of people doing this with success.

dv6cougar:
You have to keep in mind if you take an SVT engine (came out before our car did) and then replace all the restriction on the exhaust (from the headers back) you would easily have 40 to 50 more hp than our engines make stock. Then add in ecu tweaking and you get the additional 10 to 20 hp to equal the 230 hp that ford had before detuning it for emissions/other government regulations and cost factors. Ford will let their engineers play when it comes to making the engine. Then they let people like the accountants and government regulations dept. take over from there to get the engine you now have today in your car.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
ok the more and more i read about all this stuff.... the more I HATE FORD!

damn... first of all as i discussed with merc.... they didn't give us the 3.0 because we would then be a threat to the Mustang GT.... how bad woudl that be?

then they don't give us the svt motor..... :slap:

they give us eg r valves :slap:

they never produced the all powerful Cougar S with AWD!!! :slap:

ok i'm done

anyway.. back the to point.

i was thinking that cat might be right here...

lets say you were to gut your precats, get a true dual system running, a nice X or H pipe and hi flow cat, and then you were to play with ecu. Then possible you could get your 60 hp.... remove the eg r vavles for an extra hp or 2.... then you could essentially also get rid of the restrictive air box whiel your at it. then yes maybe you can reach your 60hp goal here.

on a smaller note.... has anyone ever dynoed a true dual system on our 2.5L engine?

i have unfortunately made the mistake of gutting the main cat on my cougar and it lost a lot of tq!... not a good idea. so i was thinking if you were to use piping larger then a 2.5.. you might actually loose on your time slips? am I wrong?

·
Buyer Beware
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im not sure if i understand correctly....

you block the passage into the UIM. ok

what do you do with the rubber tubing that goes from the intake to the IAC?
and what about that metal tube that delivers the exhaust gasses to the EGR?
where is the mini filter supposed to go? and what does it do?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Originally posted by: GrandMasterKhan
im not sure if i understand correctly....

you block the passage into the UIM. ok

what do you do with the rubber tubing that goes from the intake to the IAC?
and what about that metal tube that delivers the exhaust gasses to the EGR?
where is the mini filter supposed to go? and what does it do?
ok... listen took me a while before i understood too haha..

alright you disconnect the hose coming from the eg r valve to the accordian tube... from the accodian tube.

then you plug the hole in your accordian tube. and put a filter on the end of the hose you have coming from the eg r valve...

that's it.. nothing more. your exhuast gases never reach the intake pipe... and the ecu still registers a eg r and therefore it shoudl not throw a cel. good idea... someone try it :)

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Originally posted by: kilkenny
isn't this the same thing as a breather filter, i think ive seen it done on some cougars before
yes essentially..
cat88 had a new idea... just remove the tube and put your breather filter in place of the hose :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Edited idea for looks etc. Take off the tube going from the uim to the accordian tube. On the metal pipe coming off the uim you place this: 3/4" opeing Breather Filter or another breather filter with a 3/4" opening. You then just need to block off the opening in your accordian tube.

And yes, the nice part is the computer still thinks everything is running as usual so no CEL.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Good idea Jason!

get a true dual system running, a nice y pipe and hi flow cat,
true dual exhaust will not be needing a Y-pipe:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
sounds like a good idea. i'm gonna do it when i get my car back from the shop

so this mod+the iat mod+open filter intake with a cold-air tube outta give ya a decent lil chunk of power.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Originally posted by: gyger
Good idea Jason!

get a true dual system running, a nice y pipe and hi flow cat,
true dual exhaust will not be needing a Y-pipe:biggrin:
i meant x pipe or h pipe :biggrin: sorry haha

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Question...

Will this filter affect the throttle hang fix?

With the tube going into the intake there is no restriction but with the filter on it will be a bit more restricted rather than no restriction. Get what I'm saying?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Originally posted by: CougarDemon
Question...

Will this filter affect the throttle hang fix?

With the tube going into the intake there is no restriction but with the filter on it will be a bit more restricted rather than no restriction. Get what I'm saying?
ya.. i was actually thinking the same thing...

but the flow your preventing is coming through the tube from egr valve wehre your th fix is... so i don't think this is actually going to get in the way???

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Hmm, interesting thought. Yes I would think that it would be a throttle hang fix to a small extent, but probably not to the extent of the original idea of the cap in the tube. Off course the more gunk you collect in the filter before cleaning it or replacing it the more throttle hang fix you would have.

Hmmm, now that's a thought. For those that say the computer learns the throttle hang fix and compensates for it. As you computer learns the throttle hang fix it increases (filter gets dirtier letting less air through) and compensates for the computer's learning. Well unfortunately my comical thought wouldn't work since the filter wouldn't get dirty enough, fast enough.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Originally posted by: PacmanTravis
So....this "mod" would result in like a....2 horsepower gain?
ya
nothing major... but it woudl keep alot of gunk out of yoru uim i'd imagine :)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
ok so the question is is the possible aggrevation worth the 2 hp?

heres how i see it...

the idle hang fix has a hole in it to stop the hang in the throttle after letting off the gas.

now it has that certain diameter hole in it(varies per car) to give it a smooth idle and get rid of the throttle hang. i personally think just the filter would not be enough to help with the throttle hang so what i would do is leave a small section of tube(maybe 2 inches) and put the filter on that and maybe drill the hole a size bigger if the idle is off. second thing is the exhaust is pretty dirty so your gonna need to clean that filter alot so the idle of the car and the hang works properly. a 2 hp gain is a gain but is the small trouble worth it?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
i would say yes it is worth the trouble... only becuase this mod in itself will take you less then 3 minutes to do...

and as for cutting down the hose... i would just leave it, makes it easier later if you have warranty work etc...just have it sit underneath your accordian tube so no one can see your filter... well can barely see it

·
Buyer Beware
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So at WOT the exhaust gases will vent through the mini filter into the engine bay...(instead of into the intake track)

but at idle the exhaust gases will still be pulled into the UIM?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.