New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my diagnostics back from my CEL and i it showed a insufficent flow in the EGR valve. How do i go about unclogging it. I got the first bolts off but the tube its attatched to at the bottom of the EGR i dont know how that is unscrewed. Any help would be awesome. Would this problem describe any hesitations in my driving?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Most likely it's a bad DPFE.

You can pull and clean the EGR and passages just to be certain, but if the CEL comes back (remember to clear it too) it's "most likely the DPFE."

The new Duratecs come with a plastic DPFE to stop the inner corrosion problem. (DPFE failure is a COMMON Ford problem)
I do not see why it would not work, but have not had any personal experience with it yet. I will in a couple weeks though...

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. turn the headlights on...reconnect neg. battery terminal after 10 mins. that will reset the ECU and clear the CEL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So after i disconnect the neg term than i turn the headlights on and leave them on for the 10 mins and leave them on while i reconnect it? BTW thank you

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
or just goto autozone and let 'em clear it with their little CEL reading doo-dad they have. DPFE sensors are like $50 and take under an hour to install.

Edit: turn yr lights OFF before you reconnect the battery, or there'll be a big spark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts