New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, do any of your cougars, it sounds like there is an egg timer in my engine, it is light, and you can only hear it if the hood is up or if you are parked between 2 cars, but you can really hear it, and when you rev my engine it goes faster. Well I want to know what it is =)

Kyle

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
do you mean "tick tick tick tick" ... if so, those are the fuel injectors opening and closing (pulsing). To see for yourself, take a big fat long handled screw driver, place the metal head of the screw driver on the fuel rail (between the slats in the upper intake), and then place your ear on the handle like a stethascope. You will hear a distinct rapid "tick tick tick tick tick", wich will increase in speed if you rev the engine. Try it!

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
using a screwdriver as a stentascope.... now i've heard it all... although very cool trick... thanks trevor

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, That was fast, heeh, well at last now I know that my mounts arnt going to break and a rod is not going to be thrown threw my side, lol!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
The "Screwdriver Stentascope" comes in VERY handy when trying to diagnose engine noise ... VERY handy. I learned that trick from a SAE master mechanic in my "Introduction to Automotive Engines" class that I took as an elective for my associates degree

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Trevor- Even better- Use a long 3/8" or 1/2" extension, put your thumb on the end of it, and put your ear to your thumb. That's how I ferreted out the valve train noise on Leah's new van- Got us money off the price! (Too bad I then put 10W40 in it, and the valves haven't made a peep since- But that's our little secret!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.