New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clock/Odometer screwy

I just noticed yesterday afternoon that when I shut the car off, the clock and the odo go off too. When I turn the car back on later, the clock comes back on and it's hours behind. Later this evening, when I turn the car on, the gauges peg out like they do in diagnostic mode. The clock is reset back to 1:00 and MPG, tach, and temp all reset. The resetting only happens sporadically though. Do I have loose wires or something?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Check fuses. If all your fuses test out then replace the battery.

Guage sweep at startup is a sign of a dying battery, or a battery that has a surface charge. However, LED display shutting off is a sign of a blown fuse.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Gauge sweep can also be a sign of a blown fuse as well.

I'd be willing to bet $1,000,000,000,000 that its a fuse. Do your interior lights "Dome and hatch" lights not work? If so, its a sure sign of a blown fuse. Is it me, or is this problem happening all of a sudden now to a bunch of people? I think theres been like 5 guys in the last month have this problem.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Phew that makes me feels tons better. Actually yes the dome and glove box light both don't work. I didn't think to check the hatch light. Looking in the owners manual it looks like it's 3 different fuses: Fuse #30 7.5amps for engine management, locking system, instrument cluster. Fuse #31 7.5amps for panel dimmer, license plate, glove box. Fuse #34 7.5amps power mirrors, clock, interior lamps. Is this correct?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.