New Cougar Forum banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Re: Scrapped project: 3.0 UIM on 2.5

member mindtrip (with some number added) had an early 3L uim on his 2.5 waaaaaay back in the day. i think it was from one that still had secondaries on it. so its possible, just need to find the right one

edit: look what i found

need to do some looking for the images, they were attached when this was fastcougar.com
Re: Scrapped project: 3.0 UIM on 2.5

They do. However they are "split port" so it would defeat the purpose of the adapter. (even though there is one runner in the intake in self. )

I accidentally drug one of these home from the yard this weekend. I had a "Walmart trip" like crisis at the yard where I only needed two pieces and ended up bringing home a whole load of junk I dont need.
I modeled the 99 UIM on the Mystique engine that I was picking and it actually looked like it would fit very nicely. Bolt holes line up and everything, and although its hard to tell from photos, those runners really seem to be quite large with just that little transition webbing at the bottom. I really like the idea of the full size runners in the UIM because I'm convinced the 2.5 UIM's are our biggest restriction on the intake side. Then this morning I read that thread that Jaged linked and it sounds like that guy saw some great results.
I wont be doing this mod this weekend or anything, but maybe over the winter depending on where I end up storing the car for the season.
I am thinking very seriously about building a flow-test rig this fall though to compare flow's through the myriad of different intakes that I now have lying around. My wife has an industrial grade dryer that may provide enough air flow, if not maybe I'll run a hose from my test rig to the inlet of the Hemi on the Jeep :LOL::eek:
I have a chart that shows flow vs voltage for our MAF's, so that can serve as my flowmeter, and I think I have an electronic manometer laying around somewhere that could give me D/P so theoretically all I really need is some hoses, a 12v power supply, and to make some adapters (MDF and PVC would be cheap and easy) and this would be an easy project to prove out my suspicions.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
i currently have 4 different 3L uims. the oldest ones have the shortest runners. I still want to build a "mono tube" UIM since FI doesnt care about runner length
Yeah, I think that would be a big deal on your car. Maybe I'll get back around to that project one of these days, I'm certain it could be done fairly easily, although it would be easier if you didnt have the offset throttle location. I'm really trying to laser in on my to-do lists and disposition some of this stuff.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts