New Cougar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re: EDIT *Resurrected* project: 3.0 UIM on 2.5

Got my UIM all situated and bolted down last night. Shimmed the hood with some washers but not quite high enough so I need to go a smidge higher still. Its actually not that noticeable with the hood closed, I'm fairly pleased with that.
Picked up some materials to fabricate a new throttle bracket. Next step is a cardboard mockup.
I'm not totally happy with my intake filter arrangement...it will work but its not pretty. I might need to do something different with that if I have time. It would have been nice if Ford had built that UIM at a 45 degree angle instead of whatever random angle its at.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Well, She started this weekend. Ive got a few bugs to work out before I try to drive it but "started" is a big milestone.
I need to replace at least one injector wire connector. I was hoping it would be okay but its not - Misfire cylinder 1
I also need to get a lot more spring tension on the throttle...It might be driveable as-is but its SUPER touchy and any kind of low speed travel would be a PITA. I may even need to go to a smaller throttle altogether. I'll try the spring first though.
Idle is off...I'll fix the misfire first to see how that changes the idle, but I might need to drill a slightly larger hole in the throttle plate.
I'm also still not entirely happy with my throttle bracket situation. I have something that works for now but its not ideal, and I dont have cruise control.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Starts. Doesnt run right. Tried to drive it and failed. Towed it back home, fixed the major failure, still doesnt run right.

Symptoms:
Idle is erratic and generally low, but when the IACV opens it goes quite high...like 3-4k.
With the MAF plugged in, the car wont idle at all. I fixed this by adding a throttle stop to hold the throttle cracked open a hair...that works but I shouldnt have to do that.
With the MAF unplugged, the car will start and idle very low, but doesnt like it.
With the IACV plugged in, the idle is very erratic and can go quite high as described above.
With the IACV unplugged, I dont have the high RPM problem but the idle is still erratic.
No codes at this time.

Troubleshooting so far:
Checked out the MAF with a multimeter, everything seems normal. Cleaned it while I was at it.
Looked for any obvious missed connections or open holes.
Swapped IACV...same behaviour, two different valves.
Connected a vacuum gage but I dont really know what "normal" looks like. I sit right around zero at the low idle, and vacuum increases along with RPM.
When I tried to drive it, before things went to hell (my coil came unplugged), I was noticing the brakes didnt seem to be working right.

List of modifications:
EGR valve is blanked off.
DPFE tubing is routed to trick it into believing its working right.
EGR solenoid is just zip tied up out of the way, still connected.
Valve cover breather hoses are routed to the inlet side of the throttle body
The two vacuum lines that enter the top of the 2.5 UIM are currently routed to the 3.0 UIM at the little brass connection on the vacuum side of the IACV.
Adapter plates between the UIM and LIM, permatex on the LIM side, 3.0 gaskets on the UIM side
New gaskets on the bottom of the modified LIM
Coil relocated just about an inch up and backwards
Adapter plate between the 3.0 UIM and the 65mm TB. I designed the plate with a tube allowing flow to the inlet of the IACV. Ford 3.0 TB gasket on the UIM side, permatex on the TB side.
All the extra holes in the UIM are capped or plugged. I used vacuum caps for the small points, and a pipe test plug for the EGR hole.
Replaced the three rear injector wire connectors as I managed to shatter all three of them.

I feel like I must have a vacuum leak.
Thoughts?

Sadly I think I have to tear it all the way down and start over. Maybe add some gasket material to the spots where I only have permatex right now?

·
Administrator
24,407 Posts

Nothing EGR-related would have any bearing on the idle. The only things that would make a difference that drastic are vacuum leaks. Did you give it a while to "learn"?

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

It ran at least long enough to get up to temperature a couple of times, but It was so unstable I wouldnt be confident saying it re-learned anything.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Also, for the record, from what Ive seen so far the 65mm TB on the 3.0 UIM going to a 2.5 motor is INSANELY touchy. I'm not ready to downsize yet but I really think its going to be too much throttle body.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts

The engine in my silver car had a mustang tb on it which I believe is 65mm. I know its somewhere in the 60s but it was on a svt upper and bored out lower 2.5 manifold. That thing ran beautifully. Id look more toward vacuum. I wouldn't expect the TB to be the issue so much at idle when the TB is pretty much shut. Crazy idling is usually vacuum or sensor dealing with airflow issues

Reactions: tunedbyparna

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Good news/bad news

Good: I realized that I had left the lower PCV connection open so that obviously wasnt helping anything. Fixed it.
Bad: It helped but not enough.
Current symptoms:
With the MAF plugged in, the car wont start. Once it was warmed up, I could plug it back in and it would run, but not before being fully warmed up.
With the MAF unplugged, it will start but idles under 1000 and just barely keeps running. That combined with my exhaust leak makes it sound a little like a sick Harley...
Initially, the IACV was taking it WAY high...like almost 5000 RPM, but that seemed to calm down a bit as it warmed up as well.
Still my only codes are the ones I cause by unplugging the MAF or IACV.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts

Which IACV are you using? The original one from your 2.5 or the 3L one. I was once sold the wrong IACV from autozone(I believe it was for a 3L) and it caused my car to do all kinds of crazy things at idle.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

I originally used the Cougar one, then tried the 3.0 one. I havent switched back since fixing the PCV

·
Registered
166 Posts

Usually when a vehicle won't run with the MAF connected it is caused by unmetered air leak after the MAF. These are so sensitive that any air leak will throw them off.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Anyone know a convenient way to generate smoke without being a smoker?
A couple more weeks and I will be able to find smoke bombs readily but I dont want to wait...

·
Registered
2,555 Posts

Tennessee sells fireworks year round. Make a road trip

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Two problems confirmed.
I was nosing around the 3.0 build manual and the illustration of the IACV reached off the page and slapped me. The one shown in the build manual faces the opposite direction as how I installed it. I thought about that for a minute and realized that there was no way I could hold a vacuum with the IACV oriented the way it is.
I looked through some different images of 3.0 engine bays, and determined that at some point (not sure when yet), the IACV design or the passages on the UIM were reversed because the orientation is different on different version of the UIM.
Unfortunately, of the three IACV's I have laying around, none of them really fit in the correct orientation. I made an adapter in order to test the theory and saw significant improvement (still not good enough, but much better). I will need to either get the right IACV for that manifold or jury rig a system to relocate the IACV. Thats the easy issue.
Next, with it idling, I squirted some carb cleaner around and confirmed my worst suspicion, Ive got major leakage at the LIM adapter plates. I'll have to tear all the way back down and try to re-seal. This could be the downfall of the project.

Saturday is my self imposed deadline. The car will be back on the road for next week one way or another. Either I get this setup to work or I put it back to original.

Reactions: tunedbyparna

·
Administrator
24,407 Posts

Good detective work. Hope you can get it up and running without too much drama.

Reactions: LostRacer

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Can anyone happen to identify what/when my UIM came from? Ive had it too long to remember what the PO told me.
I'm sure I can trace the part number once I take it off, just asking.

UIM.jpg

·
Administrator
24,407 Posts

Photo of an 04-05 Taurus:

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

Well, took it all apart, put back together as carefully as I could, and still no good so I'm scrapping the project again and putting it back the way Ford intended.
I think the issue is that theres no real way to torque down the adapter plates evenly. They probably need to be welded on. Then I would have to have the whole thing machined flat again and I just dont think I'm interested in going that far.

A scrapped project is a completed project.

I wasnt able to finish putting it together because I need to replace some more injector connectors. I knew I should've just planned on replacing all of them but I didnt listen to myself :(

21 - 40 of 63 Posts