New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I guess I'll go ahead and go public with this.
I was keeping it close because it seems like going public with an oddball project inevitably leads to failure, but I'm giving up on this one anyway so it doesnt matter now.

The goal was to install a 3.0 UIM on my 2.5L. I was also intending to use a 65mm TB but thats beside the point.

I started with a regular old SVT LIM, and I reshaped the inlet to as close as possible to the oval on the 3.0 UIM, and knife-edged the web between the runners.

LIM.jpg

From there I made adapter plates to make the transition between the lower and upper.

Plate bottom.jpg Plate top.jpg

Then I tried to test fit it.

Adapters installed.jpg UIM.jpg

I'm able to shut the hood, but I am pushing down on the IM when I do that, and I'm just not willing to accept that condition so I'm scrapping this project.

I believe the LIM could be machined down in order to gain the clearance I need, and I might still try that but as of today I dont think so.
The other option of course would be to customize a hood but...no.

Other issues that I was going to have to address but never made it that far:
Vac lines (and IACV) - No big deal, get some tubing to make it work and some caps for the extra holes in the 3.0 upper.
EGR - My working plan was to leave the existing EGR pipe in place but cap off the end. It seems to fit neatly under there. Then I just reroute the tubing to trick the DPFE into thinking everything is kosher.
Throttle - I had intended to use a 65mm TB, and had one all made up with an adapter plate and a bracket. Turns out the bracket I made didnt fit in that spot so I would have had to rework that but thats not a big deal.
Build an intake - no big deal.
Everthing else was pretty straightforward. I'm disappointed at the outcome but honestly I've been sitting on this project for years so it will be a relief to move past it.

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
Re: Scrapped project: 3.0 UIM on 2.5

Wonder if the earlier aluminum 3.0 intake would have a lower profile than those plastic ones; from the 99-00 or so Taurus...

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The answer is just a measurement away. If anyone who has one is willing to take a measurement...

·
Super Moderator
22,049 Posts

member mindtrip (with some number added) had an early 3L uim on his 2.5 waaaaaay back in the day. i think it was from one that still had secondaries on it. so its possible, just need to find the right one

edit: look what i found

need to do some looking for the images, they were attached when this was fastcougar.com

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

A lot of the appeal in the first place is getting rid of the cast aluminum so I'm not sure it would even be worth the trouble. SVT may be just as good or better for a lot less trouble.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I think I know where I'm going next with this...If anyone wants to try to continue this project, let me know. You can have the UIM and adapter plates for shipping cost. I'm going to hang on to the LIM for now. I'll throw the 3.0 EGR and IACV in the box too.
Who knows, maybe it would fit under an aftermarket hood...

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

It is my unproven belief that the 3.0 UIM should flow significantly easier than the 2.5 UIM.
Heat soak is also a potential concern, although theres not really any way to validate how much effect all that mass actually has on intake temperature.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Right. No question.
Just no way to determine how much impact that has.
i can tell you for a fact that the plastic 3l uim holds significantly less heat than the st220 aluminum 3l uim

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts

See, I think the 12-runner manifolds need to be on split-port heads. You're going to get much better torque numbers on the low end that way.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Maybe I'll finish the project just long enough to dyno, then put it back...its tempting

·
Registered
313 Posts

Are these set ups so rich they cannot run closed loop? Otherwise when it's closed loop the mixture would not be any different, only when it's open loop.

I'm sure the plastic manifolds intake have some advantage in terms of not heating the incoming air, but the majority of the aluminum mass is fairly far from upper/lower parting line, and with a significant gasket separating the two. The cross sectional area is not so large, and it will be hard to get good thermal conductivity from the gasket face out to the plenums, etc. My bet is the moving intake air cools that part right down and there is little heating of the air when running. My manifold feels pretty cool as long as the engine is still running. Heat soak is only relevant on start up.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

Wonder if the earlier aluminum 3.0 intake would have a lower profile than those plastic ones; from the 99-00 or so Taurus...
They do. However they are "split port" so it would defeat the purpose of the adapter. (even though there is one runner in the intake in self. )

i can tell you for a fact that the plastic 3l uim holds significantly less heat than the st220 aluminum 3l uim

Intercoolers fix that. ;) Plastic ones also like to split under high boost. Noble people have it happen frequently.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts

take the hood off. racecar am i right? lol. but you can remove the hood reinforcement on the bottom side and shim the hood to stick up a little. and it could all fit easy probably

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

take the hood off. racecar am i right? lol. but you can remove the hood reinforcement on the bottom side and shim the hood to stick up a little. and it could all fit easy probably
Bah. too much effort. I had clearance issues with the exhaust being in the way of the drain plug, and I bashed the problem away... I had clearance issues on mufflers vs tow hooks, and bashed the problem away.... the brakes are being noisy these days, I haven't figured out what to bash yet to fix it.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

This is actually the way I'm leaning right now.
I went and bought a bunch of tubing fittings and 3.0 gaskets this weekend so I guess the project is back on. Thinking about shimming up the rear of the hood.

I forgot i need to move the coil pack too. Any recommendations for that?

·
Super Moderator
22,049 Posts

i built a bracket that relocated it to the passenger side studs of the front valve cover. reversed the front wires for the rears. worked out really good. blacktilly has it now

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: EDIT *Resurrected* project: 3.0 UIM on 2.5

I got the coil moved and the modified LIM installed this weekend. I forgot about injector O-rings and the store I went to didnt have them in stock so thats all I got done but its officially on the way back together with modifications happening.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: EDIT *Resurrected* project: 3.0 UIM on 2.5

Fairly productive Saturday on this. Fuel rail reinstalled, EGR dealt with, UIM test fit, vacuum hoses all sorted out.
I still need to do the final assembly from UIM up but thats nothing.
The only challenging problem left is the throttle bracket. The one I made up previously doesnt work at all, so I need to start from scratch there. Then the throttle cable itself needs to be re-routed because its not long enough to reach where I need it to in the factory routing. I'll pick up some steel today hopefully and get the bracket figured out and be on the road next weekend.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts