New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all you polishing wizards

Originally i was going to polish it, but have decided to paint instead. One question i have though, is do i still need to use high temp paint for my intake?? I'd like to try to match it to silver frost as close as i can, and i found silver frost duplicolor, but didnt know if it was safe to use a paint that isnt high temp. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions??
Thanks

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
RE:all you polishing wizards

What intake do you have? You could either sand the paint off, or try and use some paint thinner or acetone to try and remove the paint. If you choose the sanding method, once all paint is stripped, just sand it going up in grit until you are at the stage of wetsanding it, and the "marks" from sanding are smooth. Then just buff with a metal polish. If you choose the other methods, then just buff once the paint is removed.

The method with sanding will surely take the paint off. The other two methods are things that might work depending on the intake and the paint being used.

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
RE:all you polishing wizards

i would try the paint thinner method before sanding..except i would try laquer thinner first.....im almost positive that paint is laquer based and laquer thinnner is safe for the metal

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Question is at the top, in case i confused anyone:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
You would still want to prep the intake real well, the same way you did the UIM is fine, and you can use the Silver Frost you found. Just make sure to use a high temp clear over it to seal it, and let it cure for a day or two before you install in back into the car.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright thanks for the info

1 - 6 of 6 Posts