New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please clarify exactly what the relationship is between PATS and the ECU for me? i'm getting mixed signals from different sources.
If I replace the ECU, I need to replace the keys as well?
Where exactly is the PATS module? Is there a separate reciever for the remotes?

I think Im going to use the entire steering column and ECU from my 01 and transplant them into my 99, along with the returnless fuel system. If theres a way to keep the keys from the 99, I would like to do so because I only have one key from the 01 but I have both keys and remotes from the 99.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Can anyone please clarify exactly what the relationship is between PATS and the ECU for me? i'm getting mixed signals from different sources.
If I replace the ECU, I need to replace the keys as well?
Where exactly is the PATS module? Is there a separate reciever for the remotes?

I think Im going to use the entire steering column and ECU from my 01 and transplant them into my 99, along with the returnless fuel system. If theres a way to keep the keys from the 99, I would like to do so because I only have one key from the 01 but I have both keys and remotes from the 99.
yes the keys matched to your ECM. You can keep your key but it has to be reprogrammed to the new ECM which is a dealer thing unless you have the equipment to do it. The steering column you can swap with no worries. There is ALOT involved with switching the fuel system and ECM from return to returnless though

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Things you can look forward to.

First and foremost. the body harness is different due to the fuel pressure sensor and various other stuff. so out comes the complete interior and complete electrical system of the car.

Fuel pump is different.
as well as the tank and I believe the tank vent system. so all of that is coming out.

the engine harness is different so youre going to go ahead and swap that over too. as well as various sensors under the hood.

Now that the engine harness is swapped youre going to need an alternator and bracket from 01-02 also different.

You also only have 3 02 sensors so you gotta figure something out on the exhaust.

Fun times really

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 100% functional donor car, so swapping components is doable. I just need to make sure I'm swapping everything that actually needs to be swapped.

·
So its begun.....
16,835 Posts
yes the keys matched to your ECM. You can keep your key but it has to be reprogrammed to the new ECM which is a dealer thing unless you have the equipment to do it. The steering column you can swap with no worries. There is ALOT involved with switching the fuel system and ECM from return to returnless though
Couldn't he use FORScan?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Couldn't he use FORScan?
yeah if the car lets him. I've had 3 different cars and wouldnt work on all of them.
that was part of the equipment I was refering to

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The how-to section has a write up for re-programming keys. If that procedure works, heres what I think my options are:

1. 01 cylinder, cut a new key, transplant RFID chip from 99 key into the new key, reprogram the chip.
2. 99 cylinder, reprogram 99 keys to match the 01 ECU

I'll probably end up using the doors off the 01 car as well, so I guess I might as well stick with the 01 key if possible...
Are there any receiver modules or anything located elsewhere in the car that I need to switch over?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
The how-to section has a write up for re-programming keys. If that procedure works, heres what I think my options are:

1. 01 cylinder, cut a new key, transplant RFID chip from 99 key into the new key, reprogram the chip.
2. 99 cylinder, reprogram 99 keys to match the 01 ECU

I'll probably end up using the doors off the 01 car as well, so I guess I might as well stick with the 01 key if possible...
Are there any receiver modules or anything located elsewhere in the car that I need to switch over?
for they key Im not totally sure. I swapped an SVT ECM into my car and when they programmed the chip to it everything else transferred over. So it should work.

Honestly with what youre talking about doing would probably be easier to strip the 99 to the shell and move everything from the 01 to it basically rebuilding the car. Theres other things different between the two as well. like the radio plugs and such.
So Im not totally sure what of the boxes like the central locking module and stuff is different.

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
The transponder that reads the key is somewhere in the steering column, near the ignition tumbler. But it shouldn't be necessary to mess with that, as it only transmits the key's signal to the ECU. As long as your key chip matches your ECU, you should be fine.

·
So its begun.....
16,835 Posts
It only works if you have one already programmed key. If you're starting fresh, it won't hold.

The transponder is the brown ring surrounding the ignition.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
It only works if you have one already programmed key. If you're starting fresh, it won't hold.

The transponder is the brown ring surrounding the ignition.
thats probably what it was. the keys all worked once but then stopped

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good, So assuming I stick with the 01 ECU, and I'm swapping my entire steering column, I can leave the 01 cylinder in the column, have a new key cut, and reprogram the chip from the 99 key. Thats the direction I'll attempt to pursue.

For the remotes, are they tied to any of this or are they a complete seperate animal? If seperate, I shouldnt have to mess them at all, just leave the 99 module in the car...

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
If you have a key that matches already you don't even have to re-program, you can just take the chip out of the good key and put it in the other one.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have one good key for the 01, and two good keys for the 99.
I think I'm going to use the 01 ECU.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts