New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
a comparison table of the contour svt to that of contour SE mtx says that the injectors are the same 19 lb./hr. @ 55PSI, but the tune of the ecu if it is really different. now the cougar and contour SE 2.5 is different from the tune of the ECU ??? or are they the same? thank you

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
All non-SVT 2.5's in the US were built with 17# injectors; the SVT version was built with 19#.

On a stock ECU, the Cougar goes very rich at high RPM's, but the SVT ECU manages that air/fuel ratio more closely under those circumstances, keeping a lean burn and making more power. Some tests have shown that only an ECU swap yields almost a 20hp increase on an otherwise stock 2.5L V6. I didn't feel that much myself, but it is a nice upgrade.

·
Registered
313 Posts
All non-SVT 2.5's in the US were built with 17# injectors; the SVT version was built with 19#.

On a stock ECU, the Cougar goes very rich at high RPM's, but the SVT ECU manages that air/fuel ratio more closely under those circumstances, keeping a lean burn and making more power. Some tests have shown that only an ECU swap yields almost a 20hp increase on an otherwise stock 2.5L V6. I didn't feel that much myself, but it is a nice upgrade.
That quite interesting. Any info on how to identify an SVT ECU? They gota be getting rare by now.

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
There are codes on the label. There are many variations, but only a couple are compatible with the Cougar. I think the XGT1 Maybe is the one for the returnless system.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks - that's a lot fussier than I expected, and it's unlikely I'll run across one of those compatible with my return system. Plus I really don't want to have to use premium fuel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the information it will be very useful, because I have a svt 99 and I want to convert to my normal 2.5 and put everything I can of that engine to mine, to see how it works !!

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
To preserve the catalytic converter.

If the senior citizen driving his Mercury collapses in the driver's seat and goes WOT, you don't want to burn out the cat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts