New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first fo all this doesnt have much to do with a 3L but you guys are most qualified to answer the question.

I recently made my vct zetec a non vct zetec, or pretty much the focus version or pre 98 contour version.

Its not running so hot, and Im going to take it to the local tuner and see what he can do, which he says it should be no problem.

But here is my question. Just in case its not fixable by chip can I use a pre-98 contour zetec ecu? Since its return style like me and has no vct, like me now. My main questions are the ecus of different cars compatible? Im worried about functions like ac, gauges and everything matching up and so on. I think some of you guys run the svt ecus from contours. Just asking these small details and felt it would be best to ask you guys since as far as I know Im the only one to do something this crazy in the zetec crowd.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I know about the pats and new keys having to be made but do all the pins of the ecu match up to my existing sensors?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im bumping this... Basically what I was getting at, does a contour ecu work fine in our car is all I need to know, say if I got a new engine wiring harness for the regular zetec, a 97 zetec contour ecu, and the keys redone. Everything should work fine right?

I know the engine works fine with those ecus, but just wondering how about with the rest of the car?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
The old harness won't directly work on your car. There will be several different connectors between the two. (O2's, injectors, knock, fans, etc)

I would expect you to have better luck running a Focus PCM (if they don't have VCT) from the same year.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they didnt make a 99 focus, what about an 00, aslo I am return style and focus is returnless, does that matter.

Also I asked my tuner if he can get rid of the vct functions he said it shouldnt be a problem. So I am just seeing if their is anything else I can so just in case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.