New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i've been hearing a lot about these guys lately and i was wondering if they are worth the high price they demand for them.
i know that people say that they are like the best HU out there but i wanted to hear from some of you guys...
any input would be greatly appreciated...

thanx

rich

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I had an old eclipse player awhile back, it was made in 96 or something, sounded good, and even ran decently in my svt while my pioneer was in the shop. They are good units overall, mine still works well after 7 years

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eclipse does make some of the best headunit's available. Whether or not they're worth the price really depends on how serious you are about your sound system. If you're just looking to add a little bump or increase the sound quality a little, I don't think you'd need to invest in one of the upper level Eclipse's. A $200-400 Pioneer, Kenwood, or Alpine would be fine for that. But if you're looking to build yourself a kick ass system for your car, then you may want to consider paying the extra money for a high end Eclipse. I've got one of the higher lever Eclipse radios from about 4 years ago in my car and love it. It still works like new and sounds great. The main thing that makes Eclipse radios sound good (at least the higher level ones) is the RCA preouts. Whereas most radios that you'll find at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc... have 4 volt preouts (5 volt max), it isn't uncommon for and Eclipse to have 8 or even 10 volt preouts. Your sound quality of your system starts with the headunit. So if you're looking to build a really good system, you HAVE to have a good radio to send the signal to everything else.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Eclipse website

CatMan is talking about the high end Eclipse which are the CD 8053 (16\8v preout) or CD 8443 (8v preout)
very expensive maybe at least $350 last time I checked was in spring '03

I have the CD 5433 - the 3rd best in the line with 5v preouts I paid about $280

Well if you break it down they are similar to other HU in feats but the preouts is their main strength

So if you are planning on setting up multiple amps then Eclipse is the better choice
but if you are just gonna power the speakers with the HU or maybe have one amp powering subs then any HU can do the job.

I have to say for Sound Quality Eclipse is the smart choice and for loud booming base any HU can do that except for Sony (lol I heard some bad reviews).

OFFTOPIC: My past HU

Panasonic - lots of eye candy (great visuals), had some good bass but lacked sound quality could be compared to Sony

Alpine CDA 9807 - My fav of the three overall
you get more for the money (looks good, sound was good, played MP3, lots of feats to tune the sound to your liking loved it)

Only reason I gaved up the Alpine was I wanted to see what was the big deal on Eclipse - curiosity got the Kat

Heard could good reviews for: Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.