New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled up to this lightly modded Eclipse GS-T on the freeway tonight. I blipped the throttle to dart in front of it, then leveled with it again. My eyes met the driver's, he nodded, and pulled away hard before I could react. I nailed the gas and he let off a little so I could catch up. We both evened up at about 80mph and took off simulataneously. By 100mph he had a door on me, and by 110 I was at his rear bumper. He let off, and so did I. No fly-by's, no cut-off's, no weaving through traffic. Good clean run against a very quick car.

G

·
thats because the turbo's arent the main source of power once you are up at a speed like that......they just help you in quick acceleration.....so you should be able to hang at that speed....nonetheless....good run....

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really? I thought the only time the turbo isn't providing boost is at low rpms before it's spooled up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hell even if you turned the boost all the way up you still wouldnt produce that much boost on a t25. That turbo is good for around town and that is it. Unless you have twin turbo and use it to spool up a larger turbo. The first gen eclipses had the better turbo. They came with a 14g. It isnt much better but anything is better then a t25.

Randy you are wrong on turbos only being for lowend power. turbos are for topend power. That is why a turbo produces lag.

Larry

G

·
Then why is it that it hardley effects your 1/4 mile as compared to a supercharger? Because once the turbo is spinning at full boost then it can't produce any more power....just what I thought I learned...maybe I'm wrong......

·
Registered
84 Posts
Depends on the number of vanes and size of turbo. Too much turbo will hurt in the 1/4. Too little will also hurt. Depends on whether you want topend or bottomend. With a supercharger you always have boost. With turbo you always have boost but it depends on the amount of exhaust gases. Meaning you will not produce 20 lbs boost at 1000 rpm but at 5000 you will. Turbo is more linear. That is why it spools up. It applies power gradually instead of all at once. HTH

Larry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.