New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
motors blown in my car and seeing that im gonan be buying a motor anyway ,what is the easiest one to install without mods besides the stock v6 and the svt.... motor mounts the same? use the stock computer ,,,i was looking a read about the escape motor and i can get one for 400.00 , but i dont know about the motor mounts and computer being ok ,,,, so what can i use ,and whast the next best thing

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reading all that didnt help , it didnt tell me what will be needed extra to do an escape swap ,and if anyone has done it ,

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
since the sho motor fits the probe v6 tranny ,and the sho motor fits the cougar tranny will the probe motor fit the cougar? i dont want a probe motor , but the millenia or whatever its called has the supercharger ,will it fit the 2.5 or 3.0 intake? basically , can you put the supercharger on the cougar?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
why not just buy a supercharger kit?

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
Originally posted by: 10ktgold
since the sho motor fits the probe v6 tranny ,and the sho motor fits the cougar tranny will the probe motor fit the cougar? i dont want a probe motor , but the millenia or whatever its called has the supercharger ,will it fit the 2.5 or 3.0 intake? basically , can you put the supercharger on the cougar?
No. Maybe, but I doubt it would be worth it. And yes, if you can find one of the Vortech kits. But you'd be better off using the ADC turbo kit if you want to go the F/I route.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
if you read all the info carefully and went to some of the links provided you would have figured out what you needed to get started.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Yeah, most of your questions have already been answered in the FAQ's at the top.

If you are SERIOUS about doing this, do like I've been doing, and that is search like there's no tomorrow. Take a couple evenings, and do nothing but searches on 3L stuff. Read as much as you can. You're gonna spend a decent amount of money doing a 3L swap, so you need to know as much as you can beforehand.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
yeah try weeks and months or a year of researching. A engine swap, especially for this car, is not something you spend a couple nights researching and your ready to do a 3l swap. Also you need to plan and execute time frames, money, part deliverys, etc etc.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yup, it took me about 2 1/2 months, start to finish, on my 3.0L swap. A lot of research, lot of parts and a lot of waiting. And it will always cost more than you expect.

But to answer your question here is a small list and descriptions of what you need at a minimum=least money spent:

1) Get that Escape motor
2) Port match the heads to fit the 2.5L LIM, if you try to use the 3.0L UIM/LIM you will have to do a lot of fabbing for stuff like: EGR, vaccuum lines and fuel lines if you have a return style lower
3) Few things you have to buy....19 lb. injectors, ADC chip
4) swap over 2.5L timing cover and accecories..will also have to cut a little piece off 3.0L block for it to fit
5) cut pilot bushing in crank flush

Through all of this the only thing that would require extensive mechanical knowledge would be #2. To port the heads, you would have to remove them from the block and disassemble them, port them, reassemble with new head bolts, and set the timing (cams).

So it seems that if you're gonna sell the car just get a stock motor so you don't have to go through all this trouble. If you're keeping it then, now you can see what's involved in a basic 3.0L swap.

Your welcome,

Nick

·
Registered
627 Posts
Originally posted by: sonza68
You can use the Escape timing cover. It is the same as the 01/02 2.5L cover.
I think his is a '99

·
is a pop sensation
13,676 Posts
It still works. We used the Escape timing cover on a swap into a '00. You just need the 01/02 serpentine belt.

·
Registered
627 Posts
And you can use the '99 alternator???

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
getting a motor is no problem ,mine is a 99 5spd ,without using any cougar engine parts ,can another motor complete be installed? like the whole escape motor intake and all? , something i can just bolt in and plug up ,

·
Registered
627 Posts
Originally posted by: 10ktgold
getting a motor is no problem ,mine is a 99 5spd ,without using any cougar engine parts ,can another motor complete be installed? like the whole escape motor intake and all? , something i can just bolt in and plug up ,
NO! for many reasons, most obvious being:

Your '99 has a return style fuel system, the escape motor will be returnless....the lines won't hook up

There is no engine you can just drop right in with no mods, except stock Cougar 2.5L '99-'00 or 2.5L SVT '98-'00

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
I thought the 00 CSVT's were returnless? I didn't think they ran return-style all the way through till the end.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.