New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I called the dealer about getting a tune-up and the yahoo on the phone said that they don't recommend getting a tune-up until 100k. That's all good and fine, but I'd rather have one now at 71k. Anyone see any harm in that?
And, what all do they actually do during a tune-up??? Is it even worth messing with? Can I do it myself?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Replace spark plugs, check wires, replace fuel filter, I think they flush tranny. They also do an oil change, inspect suspension, steering and stuff like that too.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
You can do a tune up yourself. I do one on my car every year. You will definitely notice a difference if you have 71K on your car and have never had one. It wont be a supercar afterwards, but you'll notice that it does run better. There is no harm in doing one early, they just say that you don't absolutely NEED one until 100K.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That makes sense guys... Thanks. I think I'll do it myself...

What plugs do you guys recommend? And what wires? (Might as well replace them while I'm at it.)

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
I went with Autolite double platinums (same as the Motorcraft IIRC) and Ford Racing wires since I found them for less than the stock wires.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
yeah and how hard is it to reach the plugs? i want to change them (55k on car)
if you leave them in till 100k i have heard they break off sometimes cause they seize up to the head.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Don't think anyone mentioned the ACC belt. always good idea to do that at tune ups. Also coolent.

If your real anal you could flush your brake lines and power steering. neither are tough.

umm.. cabin filter as well....

could put a little greese on all the hinges... tons of stuff to do if u really wanted and looked hard enough....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts