New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm new to this site, I got my 1999 v6 2.5l automatic cougar when I was 16 and iv always wanted to make it a SVT. I might of done a half ass job but this is what iv done so far. SVT intake upper and lower, SVT throttle body and hoses, Throttle cable, SVT mass airflow. I have not yet done injectors they are still stock cougar. my car does have a fuel pressure regulator on the rail. Id like to add SVT injectors and pressure regulator if it will make a difference? The car runs but it runs rough and im sure how it needs to be programmed. My question is what is the best way to program this car with all the changes iv made. I did not change the cam. Is there a programmable tuner I should use Or a special was to program the ECM with what iv got? Please let me know as now I have some free time to finally finish this Project.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Custom tune from a reputable shop is all you have. On the 5-speed manual, you can just swap in the SVT Contour ECU and injectors and get tons more power, but the SVT computer has no idea what an automatic transmission is.

Honestly those autos fail badly enough on stock power levels. Just stick with what you have, maybe bolt on some headers, and call it a day. Enjoy it for what it is. Unless you convert to a three-pedal arrangement, you're living dangerously.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
You shouldnt need a tune for just an intake upgrade. If your running rough its because of something else

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Yeah tune is only if you want to upgrade to larger injectors. If you keep the stock injectors, don't bother with the tune.

Also pretty sure the SVT MAF sensor is the same as ours.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Also, just switching to SVT injectors probably isnt going to do much for you, even with a tune. Ultimately, the PCM is only going to send as much fuel as the engine needs.
If you decide you really want to commit to a tune and as much SVT as possible, than you should go ahead and swap your cams. Its a decent amount of work, but outside of the intake, its where the gains are going to be found.
Most of the time, people pursuing more power come to the conclusion that a 3l swap is the best option all around.
There have been a few people that have done a 3l swap on an automatic car, but again, MOST people switch to a manual car before they do any significant power upgrades. The automatics are generally considered ticking timebombs, although like anything, individual experiences may vary.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Nadthomas had a really good 3.0 auto, but only because his trans had like 35,000 miles on it or something, so it would have been a shame to just throw it out.

He also did a port-match 3.0 that didn't make as much power as most others (I think it dynoed at like 168, which is right around 200 crank exactly).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts