New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You have dynomat which costs you your left arm and then some.... then you have other "no-name" brands which costs much less but perform just as well or 95% as well... so i'm wondering how can one company charge so little while the other so much, then i felt around the material a bit. My dad being a roofer comes in contact with many different types of tar rolls and shingles and stuff of this nature. One particular material feels almost identical to dynomat, it's just as flexible, stretches with heat and even has an adhesive surface, but the full roll of 25 feet by 3 feet costs about 80$ CDN, which is a much better deal.... so

What is Dynomat made of?

I mention this because i was dynomating my car and i though i had another roll but i don't and well now i gotta go buy another roll and well i'm not in the mood of spending the money when i can just take some from my dad

·
Registered
75 Posts
PuckPuck,

Let me take a stab @ this one:

Dynamat is "Styrene-Butyadine-Rubber based and Pressure Sensitive Adhesive Backed, Heat Bondable, Sheet Metal Vibration Damper" "Dynamat Xtreme is a butyl composite with aluminum constraining layer, sheet metal vibrational damper"(from dynamat.com). The reason it is so expensive is because of the name, but it is also the best stuff (i can't answer why).

I don't know what all the chemistry hooey means..it was like reading my shampoo bottle w/o the adhesive part, that is. I'll need that later.

There are other similar products out there such as Roadkill, and RF's product. There is also CAE (Cascade Audio Engineering) who make this stuff called V-Blok. I haven't used the CAE stuff in over 3 years, but it was excellent.

The sheeting material stuff is pretty much the same no matter who makes it. Just stay away from the spray-on stuff. it's real goopy and hard to keep even.

I think your trunk would look pretty trick with roofing shingles on it

G

·
your weatherseal is almost the same stuff, i used to but that stuff boxes at a time and uses it in the shop. the difference between the weatherseal and dynamat is dynamat is like 60% rubber 40% asphalt, while the weather seal is 40% rubber 60% asphalt usually. it works well, molds pretty well but it doesn't look as pretty as the dynatmat name under your rugs

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok first off i don't want to put shingles in my car... they make literally dozens of different types of rolls consisting of different materials to go on your roof, depending on the application.... anyhow a given company can make say roll brand X. But brand X will sold as levels I, II and III, all of which can be used for the same purpose but contain different ratios of the materials, and a slight cost variations. I am positive i can find a roll of something consisting of 60% rubber 40% asphalt for a fraction of the cost of even no-name dynomat. I'm gonna take a trip to the roofing surplus store where my dad gets his goods tonite and see what i can find... i know this can be seen as the cheap mans way out but if i'm getting the exact same stuff why pay the price for a friggin name.

G

·
The posted link to Mcmasters is good. I bought some roofing stuff at Home Depot for $25 USD for that 100sq ft roll. Worked great.

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so my theory isn't wrong then...

APTCSVT: can you tell me exactly what brand and type of roll you bought... i'm going to the contractors' store tonite, i already talked to my dad, he knows the guys there real well and they'll let me walk around the warehouse checking out the various rolls until i find one with the material contents i'm looking for.

G

·
Well, it's at home. I was told to look for Resisto brand, but couldn't fint it at two Home Depots. The only adhesive backed roofing stuff I found was what I got. Hmm, have to think. Three letter acronym. Came in a white box, 36" wide by (must be about) 33ft to get 100sq feet. Ahhh, NEI company Ice and Strom seal.

I haven't used it in my Contour yet, but the in another car with noticable improvement.

Aaron

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok thanks

·
Registered
731 Posts
well i had a buddy in wi. that was a roofer and he put some stuff called freeze paper? he said it was almost identical to dynomat just not as pretty they use it for eves and overhangs he got the rolls in 6in x 20ft rolls or so it was really cheap compared to dynomat
soory i dont have more info but this was 2yrs ago iand i havent talked to him recently

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've got the hi-temp mastic. Just like the original dynamat without the logo or price. Also, I've heard of the brand name IceGuard in the roofing section of home improvement stores that's real close also. Another good, cheap alternative is B-Quiet.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The stuff used on roofs is called Ice and Water Shield. That particular trade name is made by Grace, but other companies such as IKO, Bakor, Lexcan, etc. make similar products with their own trade name. Most roofers refer to it as Ice and Water Shield no matter who makes it (sort of like everyone calls tissues "Kleenex&quot

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.