New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in dying my doors and dash, everything that's stock '99 muddy grey in my car to black (except center console and gauge shround, i have other plans). What's reccomended? Paint or dye? Id prefer the dye because of its ability to soak evenly into the poly-vinyl better than I could ever spraypaint something... plus i dont want it to be glossy. Paint can also scratch easy and flake if not done properly.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I dident know you could dye plastic, sounds like a great idea. Why would anyone paint if you could dye?

Edit: ok I did a search and I came up with these places.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

I also found this

Paint vs Dye

Three different paint systems are required for painting interior plastic trim parts, depending upon the part and plastic type--polypropylene plastic, rigid or hard ABS plastic, vinyl and flexible (soft) ABS plastic. All soft plastic and vinyl (such as seat covers, door panels, armrest pads, dash pads and so on) should be prepped with dye prep (Year One VP383 or equivalent) before dying with a quality vinyl dye. Polypropylene plastics usually have a greasy feel to them and must be painted with a bonding agent (Year One P102 or equivalent) before painting with interior lacquer paint. All hard-plastic parts (kick panels, rear window trim and so on) should be painted with interior lacquer paint.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, Thanks! (sorry im lazy, hehe)

Definatly going to do this in the spring.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Which one are you getting? I like Link 2, you can match any color, I can match my new suede I bought for the headliner and door panels. I can use the matched color for the pieces most people paint on the dash like around the guage controls, then use black or charcoal for the rest.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I like the looks of the Vinylkote product (link 2) also. Brush on was what i was looking for.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
you and me both neil... i've been looking at doing this all winter , im just waiting till it gets a bit warmer outside! heh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts