New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just was wondering why these import cars can get upwards of 400 horsepower and the Cougar has trouble reaching 200! I haven't read anything giving hard evidence of a Cougar getting over 200hp, everything has been so controversial.

The latest issue of SCC has:
'98 Supra getting 500HP (twin turbo)
'95 RX-7 R2 getting 568HP (turbo)
'97 Eclipse GSX getting 300hp

And even a Ford '00 Focus getting 300+hp...

I know that a lot of the horses came from the turbo's and they use all the best parts on these cars when they test them. But like i said, we have trouble getting over 200hp. Is there anything besides the supercharger that could get us up to or over 300?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
The only realistic way for you to get over 300HP is to put a turbo or SC on the car.... For about $12,000-14,000 for parts and labor you could get a setup with over 400HP and includes the limited slip differential, new clutch, flywheel, heads, pistons, rods, turbo, Haltech engine management, injectors, SVT throttle body, extrude honed intake manifold, lowering springs, struts, rims, tires, and exhaust...

it depends on how much money you want to spend....I dont think that setup is a realistic daily driver....I have not made up my mind on what i want to do with the car...until i get more information on how much power our trannys can take, Im not gonna put more than 250HP to the engine..I figure I will just keep the engine Naturally Aspirated for now and maybeeeeee do a custom turbo later on sometime when i have a second car to drive to work and just race this Coug on the weekends or something, or go prey on imports and F Bodys.......

Nikolas

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Duttweiler made a 450HP turbo beast. Alot of the power came from the turbo. Our engine has no problems making power, just no one has done it yet. All thoses supras and eclipse you hear making power have a turbo and some serious engine work done. No engine making 200HP stock will produce 300HP without some internal modifications and/or turbo, super. Now that we have that out of the way, Leo Capaldi's 2.5L Duratec makes 323HP and the engine builder he can get more from it and that's naturally aspirated. Doubling the HP on any motor with just head work is an incredible feat of it's own, leading me to beleive that this engine is very well built. Duttweiler (renowed engine builder) said that he has never seen an engine block built so well in his life. THe block looked like it would require incredible amounts of HP to break and this was a quote in an Import magazine (which usually trashes domestics)... so again the problem is not the engine but the people... everyone thinks that bolt-ons will make you power, sorry to say but if you want HP you gotta get inside the engine and do some work.

Oh and like Chez said if you want HP you need money. My recommendation would be to find a good engine builder. I beleive you live in Florida, so go to Georgia and the Carolinas (Nascar Country) and attend a few local race tracks (maybe even in your local area you'll find some good ones too), check out the vehicle sponsors and look for the engine builders, then after the race try to see if you can contact some of them, get a quote do do some head and intake work.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
All you need are a set of forged high compression (11.5:1), higher displacement (3.0L) pistons, and rods. Then Port and polish the Heads, extrude hone the intake manifolds, larger TB, and Camshafts to match. I'd bet you'd be putting out well over 250hp with that, and it'll probably cost a whole lot. The pistons and rods, and the block work will probably cost you $4000 right there...

Honestly, I'd like a set of high compression 2.5L pistons (maybe like the SVT), so I won't need any block work. Some camshafts, P&P heads, extrude honed intake manifolds, a higher flowing fuel pump, and adjustible FPR...That way I should have more than enough air, and more than enough fuel without having to get a remapped ECU and/or injector controller. Actually I'll probably just get a supercharger...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.