New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been brainstorming a lot this week about the idea of building a Duratec T-bucket.
There's a few factors leading me down this road:
-My project car is nearly road-worthy, and also I expect to get a new DD in the next six months so my yellow car wont really have a purpose soon.
-The yellow car has sentimental value, but its growing harder and harder to justify restoration as the body continues to degrade and I wont be NEEDING it much longer.
-As much as I would love to have the yellow car forever, I don't know if I actually WANT to do a restoration on it. I would kind of rather do other things with my resources.
-Dad and two of my uncles are building cars for a trip to street rod nationals in 2024. It would be cool if I could join them.
-I really like the idea of modern(ish) systems in a T-bucket vs the standard issue flatheads or small blocks.

So here's the building blocks I'm thinking about:
-The 2.5 out of my Yellow car or a 3.0 hybrid using the 2.5 components from the yellow car.
-Anodize or chrome all the aluminum covers and a factory 2.5l UIM and intake track for roadster bling, paint the block and steel parts Zinc Yellow.
-Manual trans and oil pan and pickup from a Lincoln or Jag
-Suspension thoughts:
-I like the idea of C4 corvette front and rear because it looks cool, should be about the right weight, and should handle great and handle whatever power a Duratec might come up with. Also, both front and rear are self contained so they would essentially be "Bolt-on" if the frame is designed for it.
-7th Gen Cougar (or same years T-bird) Suspension might also be a good choice in sticking with the Cougar theme, IRS, and adequate strength
-4-Bolt Mustang suspension is intriguing for being able to easily convert to 4x108 to use the factory 17" wheels that I love, but I really want IRS.
-Lincoln or Jag suspension would probably avoid some adaptation issues that I don't know I'm going to have, and would probably be cheap.
-I'll have to do some more research about suspension...Maybe I can find a 4-bolt IRS RWD car.
-Use as many of the Cougar parts as I can to build the interior and auxiliaries on the bucket.
-Definitely Cougar tail lights, hopefully find a way to use the headlights too, although that would be a lot of fiberglassing to make something that looks good.
-One of those Jenvey ITB setups would be pretty badass but that might be hard to swallow the expense for.
-Another alternative to the UIM or ITB's would be a blower on a custom UIM. Since hood clearance isnt an issue, and the motor mounts will be custom fab anyway, it could be done, but that would probably be a "Phase two" project.
-Paint the car Zinc yellow
-I think the wiring could all be hidden fairly easily but it would need to be custom fabbed for the most part, and there would probably be some conduit involved, but that's okay.

I know classic hot rod guys would think its a stupid idea, but my position is that hot rods should be a reflection of the builder, and don't have to just be clones of something somebody did 60 years ago. Also, I could keep my Yellow car alive in spirit without doing the restoration.

My biggest obstacle right now is the lack of a place to do this at. I'm hoping to correct that situation soon but I cant be sure what "soon" means, so I might just start collecting all the building blocks so I have everything ready to go when I do get a location.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
22,114 Posts
a guy i race with has a T-5 trans mated to the 3L all shoved in his miata. I think there are adapter plates that are available but for the I4. I know he made his adaptor.

Its an interesting concept, but i would try and sketch it out first to see what it could look like

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I think theres at least one company that has a pattern for a Duratec to T5 adapter. That's probably a worthy train of thought to follow, I think Dad still has a T5 on the shelf without a purpose.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, this is a thing I just stumbled across at lunch...

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
my position is that hot rods should be a reflection of the builder, and don't have to just be clones of something somebody did 60 years ago. Also, I could keep my Yellow car alive in spirit without doing the restoration.
Yes.

**** yes.

do it. Oh my God, do it.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Ive got an idea, lets make it harder to change the alternator"
Its no big deal, he just drops the front end off the car :oops: :oops:

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Would make it really easy to do an 01-02 alt though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts