New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember a few months ago looking at the Ford UK site. Under the Ford Focus they had the Focus RS which came with a 2.0 Liter Turbo Duratec Engine. I recently looked at the Ford UK site and saw that the Focus RS was removed from the line up.
I know that the engine is produced in the UK but since it is a Duratec I was wondering if anyone knew if it would be plausible to do an engine swap or even possible to go through ford and order this engine. If I remember correctly, the turbo kit for the V6 costs in total 5K, so money wise it might be cheaper to get the factory motor. Especially if you could find a slightly used one.

The motor puts out 214 HP and 228 Lb. Torque.
I think this might be a very worth while upgrade because, although i am impressed with the HP gains of the 3.0L SVT Hybrids, i do not like the idea of adding extra weight to my car and taking away from my cougar's handling or breaking ability.
I also rememberer from Ford UK that the 2.0L Turbo Duratec is aluminum compared with the Zetec's cast iron and the turbo is not a bolt on but integrated. I believe that the weight of the 2.0 Duratec with the turbo would probably be comparable in weight to the 2.0 L Zetec. In that case the car would have have a 60/40 weight distribution compared with the 64/36 of the V6 (if my math is right ). It would also have a power to weight ratio of 13.2 LB/HP opposed to the stock MTX V6's 17.3. Put in perspective, this engine would give us a better power to weight ratio then the WRX 13.6 LB/HP (3085/227) :biggrin:
Here's a link I found on the Focus RS.... too bad the RS is no longer on the UK Ford site. It had much more information. Link

·
Registered
832 Posts
Forget V8 conversions. In order to get the ATI Focus down the 1/4 SCC magazine had to put 500lbs of ballast in the trunk so it could do [email protected] I say do a RWD swap but put a turbo'd I4 engine in instead of V8. That way you save weight and you'd still get a fast car with traction and great handling.

The problem with doing a Focus RS engine swap, is it's almost impossible to get RS components without having already bought one. I hear in the UK you can't buy RS parts unless you're in the database of RS owners. Also for the price of getting those parts over, you can just upgrade the internals of the stock Zetec.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts