New Cougar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Duratec 2.5s and the KL-ZE from the Ford Probe GT/MX-6/626 are the same engines correct?

Spyder757

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Nope, not even close...

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
The KLZE is the 200hp Japanese version of the KL03 (the probe/MX6/626 american engine). The Duratec looks nothing like the KL series of engine, they are very different as said.

How do you know aboiut the KLZE anyway?? You an ex probe/MX6/626 owner? that's not a common thing to know.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, I was under the impression that they were the same engine. I knew the KL-ZE was the J-Spec version of the KL's found in the US Spec Probe/MX6/626. I just assumed because of the 2.5 liters 24 valves and quad cams that they where the same as the Duratec engines.

So lemme see if I got this right.

Probes, 626s, MX6s use KL-ZE or KL-03 2.5 24 valve quad cams.

But Cougars and SVTs use the Duratec which is 2.5 liters 24 valves and quad cam?

As for where I got it, I was looking at www.probetalk.com before I found this site seeing what sorta infomation I could dig up on the 2.5 because I assumed they were the same engines.

But no I never owned a Probe. My other car that I still own is a 1991 Mustang LX 2.3 SOHC 8 valve 4 cylinder with the A4LD automatic front disc, rear drum.

The 2001 Cougar I just got tuesday is the 2.5 V-6, with automatic front disc, rear drum, reo red tint with cloth graphite interior.

Spyder757

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
The Duratec 2.5l 24 valve Dual Over Head Cam engine. (4 hollow cams & roller followers) Used in many different vehicles. Contour, Mystique, Cougar, Mondeo (Europe), etc...

Ford Engines

Good site for pictures and data on the Duratec V6's. 2.5L & 3L...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FWIW, the KLZE is rated at 197hp (200ps), with the JDM ECU, and 100+octane fuel. Most guys with all the bolt ons w/ a ZE have a very hard time getting over 170-175hp at the wheel.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
since we've got some Probe owners here... have any of you seem of heard anyone who has successfully swapped a K series V6 into a Protege? my brother is looking at buying a Protege 5 but we found out it has F series engines that is totally different from the Miata so our plan to get a P5 and get supercharger from Jackson racing just went out the window. There doesn't seem to be any aftermarket support for F series Mazda engine which is a bummer. Although there seem to be lots of stuff for the K series V6.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh, I was under the impression that they were the same engine. I knew the KL-ZE was the J-Spec version of the KL's found in the US Spec Probe/MX6/626. I just assumed because of the 2.5 liters 24 valves and quad cams that they where the same as the Duratec engines.

So lemme see if I got this right.

Probes, 626s, MX6s use KL-ZE or KL-03 2.5 24 valve quad cams.

But Cougars and SVTs use the Duratec which is 2.5 liters 24 valves and quad cam?

As for where I got it, I was looking at www.probetalk.com before I found this site seeing what sorta infomation I could dig up on the 2.5 because I assumed they were the same engines.

But no I never owned a Probe. My other car that I still own is a 1991 Mustang LX 2.3 SOHC 8 valve 4 cylinder with the A4LD automatic front disc, rear drum.

The 2001 Cougar I just got tuesday is the 2.5 V-6, with automatic front disc, rear drum, reo red tint with cloth graphite interior.

Spyder757
Ive recently acquired a ford cougar sports edition with the KLZE engine type can someone please let me know what this is or what i have

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.